All of us dream of training the perfect French Brittany, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the training is done with kindness and focus. Realize pups learn from the first day and need to be advised what is correct, what is wrong, and proper interpersonal skills.
Puppies are like kids, they have to have constant direction and instruction. Training a pup doesn’t have to be an ordeal, all you need to remember are a few simple principles:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your French Brittany
- Until your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on him at all times. Once you aren’t able to then you will need to crate her. Make a plan for the pup, this will serve to help him to calm down very quickly. The plan needs to incorporate things like regular bathroom visits, feeding times, relaxation periods, walks, play time, training, etc. A pup that has a full day has no time at all to get unoccupied and misbehave.
- Train the pup to heed you. French Brittanys stay in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. Once you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will come to be easy as the pup will obey you at all times and not question your authority.
- Utilize only encouraging training methods. Never ever shout at, smack, or punish your French Brittany. It is not just terrible but can induce behavioral challenges. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera could harm the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is universally accepted as a very useful coaching method. When you reinforce this, your pup will learn that to get anything like affection, a walk, or snack, he has to behave properly.
- Show the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not endorse actions such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, howling, or running out of open gates and doorways. Appreciate courtesy and dismiss or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly realize that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you will need to catch the French Brittany in the act and surprise her by shaking a can of marbles. Once you have done this help him fix his behavior and immediately give him a treat and appreciation. French Brittanys do not think of what transpired prior so reprimanding him after an occurrence is of no use.
- Always call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce mental confusion and the French Brittany will believe that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggie needs to relate his name with happy events like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this occurs he will come willingly anytime you call his name.
- Make a training routine that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes three times a day. Extensive recurring trainings can be dull and the French Brittany is going to lose interest in learning. Help make learning exciting and use trick training sessions to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Connect with the French Brittany and both of you will love your lessons. The pup ought to hope for spending time with you and not steer clear of you by breaking away or taking cover. Make certain to socialize the doggy very early. Socialization is one of the most essential lessons. The French Brittany must figure out how to coexist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly and gradually introduce the puppy when he is small to normal events and noises. Take him to the shopping center/ playground, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Discover everything about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are rudimentary lessons that every French Brittany puppy should understand. Learn about all the habits and qualities of the breed. This will give you useful information on how to effectively educate the doggy.
As a French Brittany owner you have countless options. You can choose to train the French Brittany yourself or register at a skilled professional training school. Training a French Brittany has numerous steps: kindergarten, obedience training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, and other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What level you choose to train depends upon you along with the brainpower of your French Brittany. As you understand, different dogs, like human beings, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your French Brittany pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about French Brittanys.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂