All of us imagine training the perfect Irish Water Spaniel, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and reliable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the teaching is done with kindness and dedication. Do not forget pups learn from the first day and want to be shown what is right, what is wrong, and correct interpersonal skills.
Puppies act like kids, they are in need of continuous direction and instruction. Training a pup need not be an ordeal, all you need to keep in mind are a few basic principles:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Irish Water Spaniel
- Till your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. When you are unable to then you must definitely crate him. Make a plan for the pup, this will serve to help him to settle quickly. The schedule has to include things like hourly potty visits, eating times, break periods, walks, play time, training, and so on. A pup that has a busy day has no time at all for being unoccupied and misbehave.
- Train the pup to respect you. Irish Water Spaniels stay in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then training will eventually become easy because the pup will follow orders at all times and not defy your authority.
- Use exclusively encouraging training methods. Don’t scream at, attack, or abuse your Irish Water Spaniel. It’s not only terrible but might result in behavioral issues. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth could very well hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in this life is free.” This is a philosophy that is broadly regarded as a valuable coaching tool. In the event that you practice this, the pup will find out that to get anything like love, a walk, or reward, he will need to behave well.
- Teach the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not endorse actions such as jumping, growling, tug-o-war, barking, or escaping open gates and doors. Applaud courtesy and disregard or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly realize that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a behavior you need to witness the Irish Water Spaniel in the act and surprise her by shaking a container of pebbles. When you have done this help him remedy his behavior and promptly offer him a treat and praise. Irish Water Spaniels do not remember what occurred previously so scolding him after an occurrence is useless.
- Make sure to call/use his name positively. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will result in confusion and the Irish Water Spaniel will think that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The doggie needs to connect his name with happy things like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this transpires he will respond happily the moment you call out his name.
- Develop a coaching routine that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes thrice a day. Extensive recurring trainings can be boring and the Irish Water Spaniel is going to lose interest in the learning session. Help make training cool and use trick training sessions to explain orders like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Irish Water Spaniel and both of you will definitely love your sessions. The pup must look forward to spending time with you and not steer clear of you by turning tail or hiding. Make sure to socialize the puppy quickly. Socialization is one of the most important teachings. The Irish Water Spaniel needs to learn to coexist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly introduce the dog when he is little to ordinary activities and noises. Take him to the shopping centre/ playground, introduce him to kids and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Learn everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every Irish Water Spaniel puppy must learn. Understand all the habits as well as qualities of the breed. This will give you important information on how to successfully educate the doggie.
As a Irish Water Spaniel parent you have a lot of options. You may decide to train the Irish Water Spaniel by yourself or enlist at a high quality training school. Training a Irish Water Spaniel has numerous steps: preschool, behavior training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, and other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What standard you choose to instruct depends on you as well as the brainpower of your Irish Water Spaniel. As you realize, different dogs, like people, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Irish Water Spaniel pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Irish Water Spaniels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂