All of us long for training the perfect Himalayan Sheepdog, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams do come true if the education is performed with care and dedication. Remember pups learn from the first day and really need to be instructed what is correct, what is wrong, and correct interpersonal skills.
Pups behave like children, they want to have frequent direction and teaching. Training a pup does not have to be an ordeal, all you want to consider are a few simple rules:
10 Tips For Training Your Himalayan Sheepdog
- Up until your pup learns, you have to keep an eye on him at all times. When you can not then you will need to crate her. Create a plan for the pup, this will help him to settle fast. The calendar must incorporate things like hourly potty visits, eating times, break times, strolls, play time, teaching, etc. A pup that has a hectic day has no time to get unoccupied and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to respect you. Himalayan Sheepdogs live in packs and instinctively follow a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will become easy as the pup will heed orders at all times and not defy your authority.
- Utilize exclusively constructive training tactics. Do not holler at, attack, or abuse your Himalayan Sheepdog. It is not only harsh but may produce behavioral challenges. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could quite possibly injure the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is universally acknowledged as a practical teaching method. As you apply this, your pup will be taught that to get something like love, a walk, or treat, he must behave properly.
- Explain the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not reinforce behaviors such as jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, snarling, or escaping open gates and doors. Celebrate courtesy and dismiss or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a behavior you need to catch the Himalayan Sheepdog in the act and surprise him by rattling a bottle of stones. As soon as you have done this make him improve his behavior and promptly give him a snack and approval. Himalayan Sheepdogs do not call to mind what transpired prior so rebuking him after an event is of no use.
- Always call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause confusion and the Himalayan Sheepdog will believe that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggie must relate his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, walks, snacks, and such. If this happens he will approach happily the second you call his name.
- Generate a teaching schedule that is short and sweet, say ten minutes thrice a day. Prolonged repeated lessons can be boring and the Himalayan Sheepdog will lose interest in the learning session. Help make lessons fun-filled and use trick training to demonstrate orders like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Connect with the Himalayan Sheepdog and both of you will certainly like your sessions. The pup needs to expect hanging out with you and not stay away from you by running away or hiding. Make certain to socialize the puppy quickly. Socialization is one of the most important lessons. The Himalayan Sheepdog needs to master how to be with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly introduce the doggie when he is small to common endeavors and sounds. Take him to the shopping mall/ playground, introduce him to kids and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Get to know all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, together with food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Himalayan Sheepdog puppy has to learn. Know about all the mannerisms and distinctive features of the breed. This will give you useful insights on how to effectively teach the puppy.
As a Himalayan Sheepdog parent you have lots of choices. You could certainly decide to train the Himalayan Sheepdog yourself or register at a qualified training school. Training a Himalayan Sheepdog has numerous phases: preschool, obedience training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, and other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What level you decide to instruct is dependent on you together with the learning abilities of your Himalayan Sheepdog. As you realize, various dogs, like human beings, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Himalayan Sheepdog pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Himalayan Sheepdogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂