We all dream of training the perfect Boston Terrier, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and responsible at all times. Well dreams do come true if the education is done with kindness and dedication. Keep in mind pups learn from the first day and want to be instructed what is right, what is not, and correct interpersonal skills.
Pups act like small children, they need to get regular supervision and training. Training a pup need not be a challenge, all you need to keep in mind are a few basic principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Boston Terrier
- Up until your pup is trained, you need to keep an eye on him at all times. Whenever you can’t then you must crate him. Develop a routine for the pup, this will help her to calm down very quickly. The calendar needs to include things such as regular bathroom breaks, feeding times, rest periods, walks, play time, training, and so forth. A pup that has a hectic day has no time to get bored and misbehave.
- Train the pup to heed you. Boston Terriers live in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then coaching will eventually become easy as the pup will obey orders at all times and not challenge your power.
- Utilize exclusively constructive training tactics. Do not yell at, attack, or punish your Boston Terrier. It is not only cruel but will cause behavioral challenges. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could easily injure the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a mantra that is frequently acknowledged as a valuable teaching tool. As you practice this, the pup will learn that to get anything like affection, a walk, or reward, he will need to behave well.
- Present the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not encourage actions such as jumping, growling, tug-o-war, yipping, or running out of open gates and doorways. Praise courtesy and ignore or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will realize that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a behavior you should witness the Boston Terrier in the process and startle him by rattling a canister of stones. When you have done this help him fix his behavior and promptly give him a snack and approval. Boston Terriers do not recall what transpired earlier so rebuking him after an occurrence is useless.
- Be sure to call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause confusion and the Boston Terrier will think that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggy must correlate his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this transpires he will approach happily the minute you call out his name.
- Develop a training schedule that is short and sweet, about ten minutes thrice a day. Long repetitive sessions can be uninspiring and the Boston Terrier will lose interest in the learning session. Help make learning cool and use trick training sessions to teach commands like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Boston Terrier and both of you will certainly get a kick out of your sessions. The pup should wait to spending time with you and not stay clear of you by turning tail or hiding. Make sure to socialize the puppy as soon as possible. Socialization is among the most essential teachings. The Boston Terrier must learn to coexist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly but surely introduce the puppy dog when he is little to ordinary events and noises. Take him to the shopping centre/ dog park, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Discover all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, together with food training. These are basic lessons that every Boston Terrier puppy needs to learn. Learn about all the mannerisms in addition to distinctive features of the breed. This will give you useful information on how to successfully teach the pup.
As a Boston Terrier parent you have plenty of options. You might choose to train the Boston Terrier yourself or enroll at a high quality training school. Training a Boston Terrier has several levels: kindergarten, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, and other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What degree you choose to train depends upon you along with the brainpower of your Boston Terrier. As you are aware, various dogs, like people, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Boston Terrier pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Boston Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂