All of us dream of training the perfect Artois Hound, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the training is done with care and commitment. Never forget pups learn from day one and really need to be advised what is correct, what is wrong, and correct interpersonal skills.
Puppies are just like young children, they want to have constant guidance and instruction. Training a pup does not have to be a chore, all you have to consider are a few simple rules:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Artois Hound
- Til your pup is trained, you want to keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you can’t then you have to cage her. Put together a plan for the pup, this will help her to settle down quickly. The calendar needs to include things such as regular potty breaks, feeding times, break times, walks, play time, instruction, and so on. A pup that has a full day has no time to become bored or misbehave.
- Train the pup to value you. Artois Hounds stay in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then teaching will get easy because the pup will obey orders at all times and not challenge your power.
- Utilize exclusively encouraging training techniques. Do not scream at, smack, or punish your Artois Hound. It’s not only unkind but will provoke behavioral problems. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera might harm the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is commonly regarded as a helpful coaching method. In the event that you emphasize this, your pup will learn that to experience anything like love, a walk, or reward, he will need to act properly.
- Present the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not endorse behaviors like leaping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yipping, or escaping open gates and doorways. Praise courtesy and ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will learn that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a habit you need to catch the Artois Hound in the act and surprise him by rattling a container of pebbles. Once you have done this make him adjust his behavior and instantly give him a treat and appreciation. Artois Hounds do not remember what transpired prior so chastening him after an event is futile.
- Make sure to call/use his name favorably. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce mental confusion and the Artois Hound will presume that if you call his name then it is something bad. The dog must associate his name with happy things like hugs, petting, strolls, treats, and such. If this takes place he will come happily anytime you call his name.
- Create a training regimen that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes three times a day. Extensive recurring sessions can be uninteresting and the Artois Hound will lose interest in the learning session. Make lessons interesting and use trick training sessions to show orders like sit, down, come and so on.
- Connect with the Artois Hound and both of you will have fun with your lessons. The pup should wait to spending time with you and not keep away from you by running away or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the puppy dog very early. Socialization is one of the most significant lessons. The Artois Hound will need to figure out how to coexist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly but surely introduce the dog when he is little to ordinary activities and sounds. Take him to the shopping mall/ park, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Learn all about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are remedial lessons that every Artois Hound puppy has to grasp. Know about all the traits as well as peculiarities of the breed. This will give you important information on how to properly teach the pup.
As a Artois Hound owner you have a lot of choices. You could certainly choose to train the Artois Hound on your own or enroll at a competent training school. Training a Artois Hound has many steps: kindergarten, obedience training, doggy sports, presenting and conformation, and other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so forth. What degree you choose to coach depends upon you as well as the brainpower of your Artois Hound. As you realize, different dogs, like people, have varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Artois Hound pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Artois Hounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂