All of us dream of training the perfect Polish Lowland Sheepdog, a pet that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and reliable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the teaching is performed with kindness and commitment. Keep in mind pups learn from the first day and want to be taught what is correct, what is wrong, and correct interpersonal skills.
Pups act like kids, they need to have regular supervision and instruction. Training a pup need not be a challenge, all you need to keep in mind are a few simple principles:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Polish Lowland Sheepdog
- Until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. When you can’t then you have to cage him. Develop a routine for the pup, that will enable him to settle fast. The calendar must incorporate things like hourly potty breaks, eating times, relaxation periods, walks, play time, education, etc. A pup that has a busy day has no time at all to be bored and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to heed you. Polish Lowland Sheepdogs live in packs and naturally comply with a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will come easy as the pup will heed you at all times and not question your authority.
- Use only positive training techniques. Do not yell at, strike, or abuse your Polish Lowland Sheepdog. It’s not just terrible but can easily lead to behavioral problems. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could easily wound the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is frequently accepted as a helpful coaching tool. If you apply this, your pup will be taught that to get anything like love, a walk, or treat, he must act properly.
- Present the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not encourage actions like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doors. Commend courtesy and dismiss or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a behavior you must witness the Polish Lowland Sheepdog in the act and startle her by shaking a can of marbles. When you have done this make him rectify his behavior and immediately give him a snack and praise. Polish Lowland Sheepdogs do not remember what happened prior so rebuking him after an event is useless.
- Make sure to call/use his name positively. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause mental confusion and the Polish Lowland Sheepdog will presume that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The doggy should link his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this transpires he will come willingly the minute you call out his name.
- Establish a teaching routine that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes thrice a day. Prolonged repetitive trainings can be dull and the Polish Lowland Sheepdog is going to lose interest in learning. Make training entertaining and use trick training to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Connect with the Polish Lowland Sheepdog and both of you are going to get a kick out of your lessons. The pup should anticipate spending quality time with you and not stay clear of you by turning tail or hiding. Be sure to socialize the young dog quickly. Socialization is among the most critical lessons. The Polish Lowland Sheepdog must learn to coexist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly and gradually introduce the puppy dog when he is small to ordinary activities and sounds. Take him to the shopping centre/ playground, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Understand all about house training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every Polish Lowland Sheepdog puppy has to master. Know about all the habits in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to successfully educate the dog.
As a Polish Lowland Sheepdog parent you have a lot of choices. You could possibly decide to train the Polish Lowland Sheepdog yourself or sign up at a qualified professional training school. Training a Polish Lowland Sheepdog has many steps: preschool, behavior training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, as well as other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What standard you decide to train is dependent on you along with the brainpower of your Polish Lowland Sheepdog. As you realize, various dogs, like human beings, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Polish Lowland Sheepdog pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Polish Lowland Sheepdogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂