All of us long for training the perfect Silken Windhound, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the training is performed with kindness and dedication. Don’t forget pups learn from the first day and really need to be advised what is correct, what isn’t, and ideal interpersonal skills.
Puppies are just like small children, they have to have regular guidance and instruction. Training a pup does not have to be a chore, all you have to bear in mind are a few simple guidelines:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Silken Windhound
- Till your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. If you aren’t able to then you need to crate her. Design a schedule for the pup, that will serve to help her to settle quickly. The routine needs to incorporate things such as hourly potty breaks, eating times, break times, walks, play time, teaching, et cetera. A pup that has a hectic day has no time at all to get unoccupied or misbehave.
- Teach the pup to value you. Silken Windhounds stay in packs and naturally comply with a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will become easy as the pup will follow orders at all times and not question your power.
- Utilize exclusively constructive training methods. Do not ever holler at, whack, or abuse your Silken Windhound. It is not only harsh but can bring about behavioral issues. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could certainly injure the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a mantra that is generally accepted as a practical teaching tool. If you practice this, your pup will be taught that to experience anything like love, a walk, or treat, he needs to behave properly.
- Demonstrate the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not advocate behaviors like jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, snarling, or running out of open gates and doors. Applaud courtesy and dismiss or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly learn that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a behavior you must witness the Silken Windhound in the process and startle her by shaking a can of pebbles. Once you have done this help him fix his behavior and immediately give him a snack and approval. Silken Windhounds do not recall what transpired prior so scolding him after an event is useless.
- Be sure you call/use his name positively. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create mental confusion and the Silken Windhound will believe that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggy must affiliate his name with happy things like hugs, petting, strolls, treats, and such. If this takes place he will come willingly anytime you call his name.
- Make a training regimen that is short and sweet, about ten minutes thrice a day. Lengthy repeated trainings can be uninspiring and the Silken Windhound is going to lose interest in learning. Help make learning enjoyable and use trick training to show orders like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Connect with the Silken Windhound and both of you will certainly appreciate your sessions. The pup needs to wait to spending quality time with you and not steer clear of you by breaking away or hiding. Make sure to socialize the pup very early. Socialization is among the most important lessons. The Silken Windhound must learn to coexist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, carefully introduce the puppy when he is small to normal activities and noises. Take him to the store/ park, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Master everything about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are introductory lessons that every Silken Windhound puppy must master. Understand all the characteristics in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you useful ideas on how to successfully coach the puppy dog.
As a Silken Windhound owner you have several options. You can choose to train the Silken Windhound yourself or enlist at a professional training school. Training a Silken Windhound has several phases: kindergarten, obedience training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, along with other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What level you choose to coach depends upon you together with the learning abilities of your Silken Windhound. As you are aware, different dogs, like people, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Silken Windhound pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Silken Windhounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂