All of us dream of training the perfect Vizsla, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and responsible at all times. Well dreams do come true when the instruction is done with care and commitment. Remember pups learn from the first day and want to be informed what is right, what is wrong, and ideal interpersonal skills.
Puppies behave like young children, they need to have regular direction and instruction. Training a pup needn’t be a chore, all you want to consider are a few basic rules:
Ten Tips For Training Your Vizsla
- Till your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on him at all times. Once you are unable to then you must definitely cage her. Put together a routine for the pup, this will serve to help her to settle down very quickly. The routine will need to consist of things such as hourly potty visits, feeding times, rest times, strolls, play time, exercise, et cetera. A pup that has a hectic day has no time at all to be unoccupied or misbehave.
- Teach the pup to appreciate you. Vizslas live in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then coaching will come easy because the pup will comply with orders at all times and not test your authority.
- Utilize only encouraging training techniques. Don’t scream at, whack, or punish your Vizsla. It’s not just harsh but can easily bring about behavioral issues. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera could very well wound the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a system that is widely regarded as a helpful coaching method. If you execute this, the pup will learn that to experience anything like love, a stroll, or reward, he has to behave properly.
- Teach the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not endorse behaviors such as jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, howling, or running out of open gates and doorways. Commend proper behavior and just ignore or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will discover that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you need to catch the Vizsla in the process and startle him by rattling a container of pebbles. As soon as you have done this make him rectify his behavior and instantly offer him a treat and praise. Vizslas do not recall what took place previously so reprimanding him after an event is futile.
- Always call/use his name positively. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause mental confusion and the Vizsla will think that if you call his name then it is something bad. The pup needs to correlate his name with happy events like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this takes place he will respond willingly if you call out his name.
- Establish a teaching routine that is short and sweet, say ten minutes three times a day. Extensive repeated sessions can be uninspiring and the Vizsla is going to lose interest in the learning session. Make training entertaining and use trick training sessions to explain commands like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Bond with the Vizsla and both of you will certainly enjoy your sessions. The pup ought to hope for hanging out with you and not stay clear of you by breaking away or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the dog as soon as possible. Socialization is one of the most vital teachings. The Vizsla must definitely figure out how to exist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly and gradually introduce the doggy when he is little to normal activities and sounds. Take him to the shopping center/ playground, present him to children and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Understand all about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, in addition to food training. These are remedial lessons that every Vizsla puppy should understand. Learn about all the traits as well as distinctive features of the breed. This will give you important information on how to effectively coach the pup.
As a Vizsla owner you have many options. You may choose to train the Vizsla by yourself or register at a pro training school. Training a Vizsla has many steps: preschool, obedience training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, in addition to other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What standard you choose to train depends upon you together with the brainpower of your Vizsla. As you realize, various dogs, like humans, have varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Vizsla pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Vizslas.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂