More than 50% of the population permit their English Cocker Spaniels to stay inside and sleep on their sofa or in the bed. For those of you guys who are wondering how to build a dog house for your English Cocker Spaniel, here are our simple rules to follow when deciding the type of shelter you want to provide for your English Cocker Spaniel.
How to Build Your English Cocker Spaniel a House: Size
1. You should begin your house building process by making sure the house is big enough to fit your English Cocker Spaniel’s potential mature size. As humans, we enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air overhead in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. Your English Cocker Spaniel will also enjoy having that much room. The comfort zone for both humans and English Cocker Spaniels is around thrity-three percent of their standing height. To figure out how much room the English Cocker Spaniel will need go get a ruler and measure your English Cocker Spaniel. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the English Cocker Spaniel when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your English Cocker Spaniel should be able to gaze out the front entrance when both sitting and standing. So the English Cocker Spaniel will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his tummy, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand over the English Cocker Spaniel and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the English Cocker Spaniel’s shoulders.
Building Your English Cocker Spaniel a House: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the dog house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow below. To dissuade pests from invading the dog house, and taking your English Cocker Spaniel’s health into consideration, remember how important ventilation is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the panels under the eaves. Put a wind block inside the dog house so the English Cocker Spaniel can use the heat of its body to warm the space if it is very cold or windy outside. Think about adding a partial wall which will help your English Cocker Spaniel to escape the unpleasant weather. Your animal can decide to just sleep in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved English Cocker Spaniel would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of bedding to snooze on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your English Cocker Spaniel: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the house make the floor just a little bit tilted in the direction of the entryway and construct the roof a bit slanted, as well. Make sure the house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the south and west so ensure the house faces a different direction. Most dog house plans recommend that the house doorway faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the doorway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your English Cocker Spaniel’s House
5. It’s recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your English Cocker Spaniel a dog house. This makes it easier for you to clean your English Cocker Spaniel’s home. You should clean your English Cocker Spaniel’s house as often as you give your English Cocker Spaniel a bath.
English Cocker Spaniel Dog House: Conclusion
If your English Cocker Spaniel stays outdoors then he deserves to have a comfortable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for your English Cocker Spaniel will help you begin.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about English Cocker Spaniels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂