More than 50% of the population allows their Lowchens to live indoors and sleep on the couch or in their owner’s bed. For those of y’all who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Lowchen, below are some simple rules to follow when considering the type of shelter you want to provide for your Lowchen.
Building a Dog House for Your Lowchen: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to accommodate your Lowchen’s potential mature size. People enjoy having about 2 feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. The Lowchen will probably also enjoy having that much room. The comfort zone for both humans and Lowchens is about a third of their standing height. To calculate how much room the Lowchen will need go get a ruler and measure your Lowchen. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Lowchen when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Lowchen should be able to see out the front door when both sitting and standing. So the Lowchen will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his belly, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand over the Lowchen and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the Lowchen’s shoulders.
Building a House for Your Lowchen: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow below. To dissuade bugs from entering the house, and taking your Lowchen’s health into consideration, remember how important ventilation is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the walls below the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the Lowchen can use the heat of its body to heat the area if it is extremely cold or windy outside. Think about adding a partial panel which will help your Lowchen to escape the inclement weather. Your animal can decide to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved Lowchen would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Lowchen: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the house make the floor just a little bit slanted in the direction of the opening and construct the roof a bit tilted, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In the US most storms come from the south and west so make sure the house is facing a different direction. Most house blueprints suggest that the house opening faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the doorway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Lowchen’s House
5. It’s recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Lowchen a house. This makes it simpler for you to clean your Lowchen’s house. You should empty out your Lowchen’s house as much as you give your Lowchen a bath.
Lowchen Dog House: Conclusion
If your Lowchen stays outdoors then he needs to have a pleasant place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for the Lowchen will help you begin.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Lowchens.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂