More than 50% of owners allows their Canaan Dogs to stay indoors and sleep on their sofa or in the owner’s bed. For those of y’all who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Canaan Dog, following are some easy rules to follow when figuring out what type of shelter you want to build for your Canaan Dog.
How to Build a House for Your Canaan Dog: Size
1. You should start your house building process by ensuring the house is big enough to accommodate your Canaan Dog’s potential mature size. People enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air above us in a room to live without feeling boxed in. The Canaan Dog will probably also appreciate having that much room. The comfort zone for both humans and Canaan Dogs is around a third of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Canaan Dog will need get out a tape measure and measure your Canaan Dog. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Canaan Dog when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Canaan Dog should be able to look out the front door when both sitting and standing. So the Canaan Dog won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his tummy, make sure that door is high enough. Stand over the Canaan Dog and measure the width of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Canaan Dog: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow underneath. To dissuade pests from entering the house, and taking your Canaan Dog’s health into consideration, remember how important ventilation is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the panels underneath the eaves. Put a wind block inside the dog house so the Canaan Dog can use the heat of its body to warm the area if it is extremely cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will allow your Canaan Dog to escape the unpleasant weather. Your animal can decide to just sleep in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably love having a pillow or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Canaan Dog: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain coming into the dog house make the floor just a bit angled toward the entrance and construct the roof a bit on an angle, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house faces a different direction. Most dog house plans suggest that the dog house doorway faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Canaan Dog’s Dog House
5. It is suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Canaan Dog a dog house. This makes it simpler for you to clean out your Canaan Dog’s house. You should clean the Canaan Dog’s house as frequently as you give your Canaan Dog a bath.
Canaan Dog Dog House: Conclusion
If your Canaan Dog stays outside then he deserves to have a suitable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for your Canaan Dog will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Canaan Dogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂