Greater than 50% of people permit their Leonbergers to live inside and sleep on the sofa or in the owner’s bed. For those of y’all who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Leonberger, following are some easy rules to follow when determining what type of shelter you want to provide for your Leonberger.
How to Build a House for Your Leonberger: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by ensuring the house is big enough to fit your Leonberger’s potential mature size. People enjoy having about 2 feet of air overhead in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. Your Leonberger will also appreciate having that much room. The target zone for both humans and Leonbergers is approximately 33% of their standing height. To calculate how much space the Leonberger will need get out a tape measure and measure your Leonberger. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Leonberger when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Leonberger should be able to gaze out the front door while both standing up and sitting. So the Leonberger won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his stomach, make sure that door is high enough. Stand over the Leonberger and measure the width of the broadest point of the Leonberger’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Leonberger a Dog House: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the dog house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow underneath. To discourage bugs from entering the dog house, and taking your Leonberger’s health into consideration, remember how important ventilation is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the panels below the eaves. Install a wind block inside the house so the Leonberger can use the warmth of its own body to heat the space if it is extremely cold or windy outside. Think about adding a partial panel which will permit your Leonberger to escape the nasty weather. Your animal can decide to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably love having a cushion or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build Your Leonberger a House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the dog house make the floor just a little bit slanted toward the door and construct the roof a little bit tilted, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so make sure the dog house faces a different direction. Most house blueprints suggest that the dog house entrance faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Leonberger’s Dog House
5. It’s recommended that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Leonberger a house. This makes it simpler for you to clean out your Leonberger’s house. You should clean your Leonberger’s house as frequently as you give your Leonberger a bath.
Leonberger Dog House: Conclusion
If your Leonberger stays outdoors then he deserves to have a suitable place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for the Leonberger will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Leonbergers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂