Over 50% of owners allows their Bullmastiffs to stay indoors and sleep on the sofa or in the bed. For those of y’all who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Bullmastiff, below are our simple rules to follow when considering what type of house you want to build for your Bullmastiff.
Building a Dog House for Your Bullmastiff: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by making sure the house is big enough to fit your Bullmastiff’s potential adult size. Humans enjoy having around 2 feet of air above us in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Bullmastiff will probably also enjoy having that much space. The target zone for both humans and Bullmastiffs is approximately a third of their standing height. To figure out how much space the Bullmastiff will need get out a tape measure and measure your Bullmastiff. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Bullmastiff when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Bullmastiff should be able to peer out the front door when both sitting and standing. So the Bullmastiff won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his tummy, make sure that entrance is tall enough. Stand over the Bullmastiff and measure the width of the widest point of the Bullmastiff’s shoulders.
Building Your Bullmastiff a House: Elevation
2. Remember to raise the house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow below. To dissuade bugs from invading the dog house, and taking your Bullmastiff’s health into consideration, remember how important ventilation is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the panels below the eaves. Install a wind block inside the house so the Bullmastiff can use the warmth of its own body to warm the space if it is very cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will allow your Bullmastiff to escape the inclement weather. Your Bullmastiff can choose to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably love having a pillow or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build Your Bullmastiff a Dog House: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the house make the floor just a bit tilted toward the doorway and build the roof a little bit slanted, as well. Make sure the house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the interior.
4. In the US most storms come from the south and west so make sure the house is facing a different direction. Most house plans recommend that the dog house doorway faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the door then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Bullmastiff’s House
5. It’s suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Bullmastiff a dog house. This makes it easier for you to empty your Bullmastiff’s home. You should empty your Bullmastiff’s house as often as you give your Bullmastiff a bath.
Bullmastiff Dog House: Conclusion
If your Bullmastiff lives outside then he needs to have a comfortable place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for your Bullmastiff will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Bullmastiffs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂