Over 50% of the population permit their Whippets to stay inside and sleep on their couch or in the bed. For those of you all who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Whippet, to follow are some easy rules to follow when deciding the type of house you want to provide for your Whippet.
Building Your Whippet a House: Size
1. You should start your house building process by making sure the house is big enough to fit your Whippet’s potential mature size. People enjoy having around 2 feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Whippet will probably also appreciate having that much space. The target zone for both people and Whippets is approximately 33% of their standing height. To calculate how much space the Whippet will need get a ruler and measure your Whippet. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Whippet when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Whippet should be able to peer out the front entrance when both sitting and standing. So the Whippet won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his belly, make sure that entrance is tall enough. Stand above the Whippet and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
Building Your Whippet a House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow underneath. To discourage bugs from invading the dog house, and taking your Whippet’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the walls below the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the Whippet can use the warmth of its own body to warm the area if it is very cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will permit your Whippet to escape the bad weather. Your Whippet can decide to just sleep in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably love having a pillow or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Whippet: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the dog house make the floor just a little bit angled in the direction of the doorway and build the roof a bit tilted, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the south and west so make sure the house is facing a different direction. Most dog house plans suggest that the house entryway faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Whippet’s House
5. It is recommended that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Whippet a dog house. This makes it simpler for you to empty your Whippet’s home. You should clean your Whippet’s house as much as you give your Whippet a bath.
Whippet Dog House: Conclusion
If your Whippet stays outside then he deserves to have a pleasant place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for the Whippet will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Whippets.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂