Over 50 percent of the population permit their Dalmatians to live indoors and sleep on their couch or in the owner’s bed. For those of you all who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Dalmatian, here are some easy rules to follow when considering the type of shelter you want to build for your Dalmatian.
How to Build Your Dalmatian a House: Size
1. You should start your house building process by ensuring the house is big enough to fit your Dalmatian’s potential adult size. As humans, we enjoy having about 2 feet of air overhead in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. Your Dalmatian will probably also enjoy having that much room. The comfort zone for both humans and Dalmatians is about a third of their standing height. To figure out how much space the Dalmatian will need get a tape measure and measure your Dalmatian. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Dalmatian when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Dalmatian should be able to look out the front entrance when both sitting and standing. So the Dalmatian won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that door is high enough. Stand above the Dalmatian and measure the breadth of the widest point of the Dalmatian’s shoulders.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Dalmatian: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow below. To dissuade pests from entering the house, and taking your Dalmatian’s health into consideration, remember how vital fresh air is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the panels underneath the eaves. Install a wind block inside the house so the Dalmatian can use the heat of its body to warm up the area if it is really cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will permit your Dalmatian to escape the inclement weather. Your Dalmatian can decide to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
Building a House for Your Dalmatian: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain coming into the house make the floor just a bit angled toward the doorway and build the roof a little bit on an angle, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In the United States most storms come from the south and west so ensure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most dog house plans recommend that the house door faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the door then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Dalmatian’s House
5. It is suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Dalmatian a dog house. This makes it easier for you to clean your Dalmatian’s house. You should empty the Dalmatian’s house as much as you give your Dalmatian a bath.
Dalmatian Dog House: Conclusion
If your Dalmatian lives outside then he deserves to have a comfortable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for the Dalmatian will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Dalmatians.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂