Greater than 50 percent of owners allows their American Foxhounds to live inside and sleep on their couch or in their owner’s bed. For those of you guys who are interested in how to build a dog house for your American Foxhound, following are our easy rules to follow when figuring out what type of shelter you want to build for your American Foxhound.
Building a House for Your American Foxhound: Size
1. You should begin your house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to fit your American Foxhound’s potential adult size. Humans enjoy having around 2 feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your American Foxhound will also appreciate having that much room. The comfort zone for both humans and American Foxhounds is approximately 33% of their standing height. To figure out how much space the American Foxhound will need get a tape measure and measure your American Foxhound. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the American Foxhound when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your American Foxhound should be able to see out the front door when both sitting and standing. So the American Foxhound won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his belly, make sure that door is high enough. Stand over the American Foxhound and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the American Foxhound’s shoulders.
Building Your American Foxhound a Dog House: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the dog house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow below. To discourage bugs from entering the dog house, and taking your American Foxhound’s health into consideration, remember how important fresh air is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the walls underneath the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the American Foxhound can use the heat of its own body to warm the space if it is really cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will allow your American Foxhound to escape the unpleasant weather. Your animal can decide to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your American Foxhound: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the dog house make the floor just a bit tilted toward the entryway and build the roof a little bit angled, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the south and west so ensure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most house blueprints recommend that the dog house door faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the door then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your American Foxhound’s Dog House
5. It is suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your American Foxhound a house. This makes it easier for you to clean your American Foxhound’s house. You should empty out the American Foxhound’s house as much as you give your American Foxhound a bath.
American Foxhound Dog House: Conclusion
If your American Foxhound lives outdoors then he deserves to have a comfortable place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for the American Foxhound will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about American Foxhounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂