More than 50 percent of the population allows their Skye Terriers to stay indoors and sleep on the couch or in the owner’s bed. For those of you guys who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Skye Terrier, below are some simple rules to follow when considering the type of house you want to provide for your Skye Terrier.
How to Build Your Skye Terrier a House: Size
1. You should begin your house building process by making sure the house is large enough to accommodate your Skye Terrier’s potential adult size. Humans enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. The Skye Terrier will also appreciate having that much room. The target zone for both people and Skye Terriers is about 33 percent of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Skye Terrier will need get out a tape measure and measure your Skye Terrier. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Skye Terrier when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Skye Terrier should be able to gaze out the front entrance when both sitting and standing. So the Skye Terrier will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his stomach, make sure that door is high enough. Stand above the Skye Terrier and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the Skye Terrier’s shoulders.
Building a House for Your Skye Terrier: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow underneath. To discourage bugs from entering the dog house, and taking your Skye Terrier’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the panels under the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Skye Terrier can use the warmth of its body to heat up the space if it is extremely cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will permit your Skye Terrier to escape the unpleasant weather. Your animal can decide to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
How to Build Your Skye Terrier a House: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the house make the floor just a little bit slanted in the direction of the opening and construct the roof a bit tilted, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In the US most storms come from the west and south so make sure the dog house faces a different direction. Most dog house plans suggest that the house entrance faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Skye Terrier’s Dog House
5. It’s recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Skye Terrier a house. This makes it simpler for you to empty out your Skye Terrier’s house. You should clean your Skye Terrier’s house as often as you give your Skye Terrier a bath.
Skye Terrier Dog House: Conclusion
If your Skye Terrier lives outdoors then he needs to have a pleasant place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for your Skye Terrier will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Skye Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂