All of us imagine training the perfect Cardigan Welsh Corgi, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and responsible at all times. Well dreams do come true when the education is performed with care and dedication. Realize pups learn from the first day and need to be shown what is right, what isn’t, and effective socialization.
Pups are like young children, they are in need of frequent supervision and training. Training a pup does not have to be a challenge, all you want to keep in mind are a few simple principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Cardigan Welsh Corgi
- Till your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. Whenever you can’t then you need to cage her. Establish a schedule for the pup, that will help him to settle down quickly. The schedule needs to include things such as hourly potty visits, feeding times, rest periods, walks, play time, training, and so forth. A pup that has a very busy day has no time to become unoccupied and misbehave.
- Teach the pup to heed you. Cardigan Welsh Corgis live in packs and naturally follow a leader. When you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then instructing will come easy as the pup will comply with you at all times and not question your authority.
- Use exclusively constructive training methods. Never ever shout at, attack, or punish your Cardigan Welsh Corgi. It is not just terrible but can trigger behavioral challenges. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc can wound the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a mantra that is commonly recognized as a reliable training method. As you practice this, the pup will find out that to get something like love, a walk, or treat, he will need to act well.
- Explain the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not endorse actions such as jumping, growling, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doors. Celebrate courtesy and ignore or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will realize that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a behavior you have to catch the Cardigan Welsh Corgi in the process and surprise him by rattling a jar of stones. Once you have done this make him remedy his behavior and immediately give him a snack and approval. Cardigan Welsh Corgis do not call to mind what transpired earlier so reprimanding him after an occurrence is of no use.
- Be certain to call/use his name favorably. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will result in confusion and the Cardigan Welsh Corgi will believe that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The doggie must link his name with happy events like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this occurs he will come happily the instant you call out his name.
- Create a teaching routine that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes thrice a day. Extensive repetitive trainings can be monotonous and the Cardigan Welsh Corgi is going to lose interest in learning. Help make lessons entertaining and use trick training sessions to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come and so on.
- Bond with the Cardigan Welsh Corgi and both of you will certainly appreciate your lessons. The pup should expect hanging out with you and not avoid you by running away or hiding. Make sure to socialize the young dog quickly. Socialization is among the most vital lessons. The Cardigan Welsh Corgi will need to learn to be around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly but surely introduce the doggie when he is small to regular endeavors and sounds. Take him to the market/ dog park, introduce him to kids and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Get to know everything about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are remedial lessons that every Cardigan Welsh Corgi puppy needs to learn. Learn about all the characteristics in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you useful ideas on how to successfully train the doggy.
As a Cardigan Welsh Corgi owner you have plenty of options. You could certainly choose to train the Cardigan Welsh Corgi yourself or enroll at a professional training school. Training a Cardigan Welsh Corgi has many stages: preschool, obedience training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, along with other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What values you choose to instruct hinges on you together with the learning abilities of your Cardigan Welsh Corgi. As you realize, various dogs, like human beings, have varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Cardigan Welsh Corgi pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Cardigan Welsh Corgis.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂