We all hope for training the perfect Old Croatian Sighthound, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the training is done with care and commitment. Always remember pups learn from day one and really need to be instructed what is right, what is wrong, and proper interpersonal skills.
Puppies are just like kids, they have to have continuous supervision and teaching. Training a pup need not be a nightmare, all you have to bear in mind are a few simple principles:
Ten Tips For Training Your Old Croatian Sighthound
- Till your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. If you are unable to then you need to cage her. Make a routine for the pup, this will help him to settle down easily. The plan needs to consist of things like regular bathroom breaks, feeding times, rest times, walks, play time, teaching, and so forth. A pup that has a full day has no time at all to be unoccupied and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to heed you. Old Croatian Sighthounds live in packs and naturally comply with a leader. Once you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will become easy as the pup will comply with orders at all times and not defy your authority.
- Use exclusively constructive training strategies. Do not ever holler at, whack, or punish your Old Croatian Sighthound. It’s not just harsh but might produce behavioral challenges. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on may possibly hurt the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in this life is free.” This is a mantra that is generally accepted as a reliable teaching tool. In the event that you practice this, your pup will find out that to get anything like affection, a walk, or treat, he needs to behave properly.
- Show the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not advocate actions such as jumping, growling, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doors. Compliment courtesy and just ignore or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will discover that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a habit you have to witness the Old Croatian Sighthound in the act and startle her by rattling a container of pebbles. As soon as you have done this make him straighten out his behavior and promptly give him a treat and praise. Old Croatian Sighthounds do not call to mind what took place earlier so rebuking him after an occurrence is futile.
- Be certain to call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger mental confusion and the Old Croatian Sighthound will think that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The dog needs to identify his name with pleasant events like hugs, petting, walks, snacks, and such. If this transpires he will approach happily whenever you call out his name.
- Establish a coaching regimen that is short and sweet, about ten minutes three times a day. Extensive repeated sessions can be uninteresting and the Old Croatian Sighthound will lose interest in learning. Help make training cool and use trick training sessions to teach directions like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Old Croatian Sighthound and both of you will certainly love your lessons. The pup should hope for spending quality time with you and not steer clear of you by running away or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the doggie early. Socialization is among the most significant lessons. The Old Croatian Sighthound must definitely master how to coexist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly and gradually introduce the dog when he is little to day-to-day endeavors and sounds. Take him to the market/ dog park, present him to children and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Learn everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are introductory lessons that every Old Croatian Sighthound puppy has to master. Learn about all the traits in addition to qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable information on how to successfully coach the puppy dog.
As a Old Croatian Sighthound owner you have a lot of choices. You could very well decide to train the Old Croatian Sighthound on your own or enroll at a qualified training school. Training a Old Croatian Sighthound has numerous stages: preschool, obedience training, doggy sports, presenting and conformation, in addition to other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What values you decide to teach depends upon you along with the learning abilities of your Old Croatian Sighthound. As you know, various dogs, like human beings, have varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Old Croatian Sighthound pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Old Croatian Sighthounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂