All of us dream of training the perfect Southern Hound, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the education is done with care and commitment. Remember pups learn from day one and really need to be advised what is right, what is not, and effective socialization.
Puppies are like small children, they need to get continuous direction and instruction. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a chore, all you have to bear in mind are a few basic principles:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Southern Hound
- Till your pup learns, you have to keep an eye on him at all times. If you are unable to then you should crate him. Make a routine for the pup, that will serve to help her to settle down easily. The routine will need to consist of things such as hourly bathroom visits, feeding times, sleep times, walks, play time, training, et cetera. A pup that has a very busy day has no time to get unoccupied or get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to respect you. Southern Hounds stay in packs and naturally follow a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then teaching will get easy because the pup will follow orders at all times and not test your authority.
- Utilize exclusively constructive training techniques. Never ever shout at, attack, or abuse your Southern Hound. It is not just cruel but can produce behavioral challenges. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could quite possibly wound the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a system that is generally accepted as a reliable teaching tool. In the event that you execute this, the pup will be taught that to experience anything like love, a walk, or snack, he has to behave properly.
- Teach the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not endorse actions such as jumping, growling, tug-o-war, howling, or running out of open gates and doorways. Praise courtesy and disregard or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly discover that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a habit you have to witness the Southern Hound in the act and startle her by rattling a can of marbles. As soon as you have done this help him correct his behavior and promptly give him a treat and approval. Southern Hounds do not recall what happened previously so chastening him after an occurrence is of no use.
- At all times call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger mental confusion and the Southern Hound will believe that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The doggie must correlate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this takes place he will respond willingly the second you call his name.
- Make a training schedule that is short and sweet, about ten minutes 3 times a day. Lengthy repetitive sessions can be boring and the Southern Hound is going to lose interest in the learning session. Make lessons exciting and use trick training sessions to demonstrate orders like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Bond with the Southern Hound and both of you will definitely enjoy your lessons. The pup should expect hanging out with you and not keep away from you by breaking away or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the pup early. Socialization is one of the most important lessons. The Southern Hound has to master how to exist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, carefully introduce the puppy when he is small to normal activities and sounds. Take him to the mall/ dog park, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Master everything about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every Southern Hound puppy needs to understand. Understand all the habits in addition to distinctive features of the breed. This will give you important ideas on how to properly coach the puppy dog.
As a Southern Hound parent you have numerous choices. You could very well decide to train the Southern Hound yourself or enroll at a high quality training school. Training a Southern Hound has numerous steps: kindergarten, behavior training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What degree you choose to instruct depends on you together with the brainpower of your Southern Hound. As you are aware, various dogs, like humans, possess different talents. Choose well and both you and your Southern Hound pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Southern Hounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂