We all dream of training the perfect Havanese, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and dependable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the teaching is performed with care and dedication. Keep in mind pups learn from the first day and need to be shown what is correct, what is not, and effective socialization.
Pups behave like small children, they crave constant direction and training. Training a pup does not have to be an ordeal, all you want to consider are a few simple principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Havanese
- Till your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. Whenever you aren’t able to then you ought to cage her. Design a schedule for the pup, that will enable him to settle quickly. The routine needs to incorporate things like regular potty breaks, eating times, sleep periods, strolls, play time, training, and so forth. A pup that has a hectic day has no time at all to be unoccupied and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to appreciate you. Havaneses live in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then instructing will come to be easy as the pup will comply with you at all times and not challenge your power.
- Utilize exclusively encouraging training techniques. Do not ever yell at, attack, or punish your Havanese. It’s not just terrible but can easily bring about behavioral problems. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc might hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is generally regarded as a very useful coaching tool. In the event that you practice this, the pup will learn that to experience something like love, a walk, or reward, he must behave properly.
- Explain the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not encourage behaviors like leaping, yelping, tug-o-war, yipping, or running out of open gates and doors. Applaud excellent behavior and disregard or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a habit you should catch the Havanese in the act and startle her by shaking a jar of rocks. When you have done this help him improve his behavior and immediately give him a snack and approval. Havaneses do not call to mind what happened earlier so chastening him after an event is futile.
- At all times call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the Havanese will presume that if you call his name then it is something negative. The doggie must associate his name with happy events like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this happens he will approach willingly as soon as you call out his name.
- Establish a training regimen that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes thrice a day. Long repetitive sessions can be boring and the Havanese is going to lose interest in learning. Help make learning fun-filled and use trick training to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Bond with the Havanese and both of you will appreciate your lessons. The pup should look forward to hanging out with you and not keep away from you by turning tail or hiding. Make certain to socialize the doggy as soon as possible. Socialization is one of the most important lessons. The Havanese must definitely learn to coexist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, carefully introduce the puppy dog when he is little to ordinary events and sounds. Take him to the store/ playground, introduce him to kids and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Get to know everything about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are basic lessons that every Havanese puppy must master. Learn about all the idiosyncrasies as well as distinctive features of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to effectively train the puppy dog.
As a Havanese parent you have a lot of options. You could certainly choose to train the Havanese yourself or sign up at a professional training school. Training a Havanese has numerous levels: preschool, obedience training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, and other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What level you decide to instruct is dependent on you as well as the learning abilities of your Havanese. As you recognize, different dogs, like humans, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Havanese pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Havaneses.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂