We all long for training the perfect Cairn Terrier, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and responsible at all times. Well dreams do come true if the teaching is performed with care and focus. Don’t forget pups learn from day one and want to be advised what is right, what is wrong, and ideal interpersonal skills.
Pups behave like young children, they have to have continuous guidance and teaching. Training a pup needn’t be a challenge, all you have to remember are a few straightforward rules:
10 Tips For Training Your Cairn Terrier
- Til your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on her at all times. Once you aren’t able to then you should cage her. Establish a routine for the pup, that will serve to help her to settle down easily. The calendar has to incorporate things such as hourly potty breaks, feeding times, break periods, strolls, play time, education, et cetera. A pup that has a full day has no time at all to be unoccupied and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to value you. Cairn Terriers stay in packs and naturally comply with a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then teaching will get easy as the pup will heed you at all times and not defy your power.
- Use only constructive training tactics. Don’t scream at, strike, or punish your Cairn Terrier. It’s not only cruel but can produce behavioral issues. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could easily wound the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in this life is free.” This is a mantra that is frequently accepted as a helpful coaching method. In the event that you practice this, your pup will learn that to get something like affection, a walk, or snack, he must act properly.
- Demonstrate the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not endorse behaviors like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, yipping, or escaping open gates and doorways. Praise courtesy and ignore or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly discover that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a behavior you should witness the Cairn Terrier in the process and startle him by rattling a bottle of rocks. As soon as you have done this make him remedy his behavior and immediately offer him a snack and approval. Cairn Terriers do not recall what took place earlier so scolding him after an occurrence is of no use.
- Always call/use his name favorably. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will result in confusion and the Cairn Terrier will think that if you call his name then it is something bad. The pup should correlate his name with happy events like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this happens he will approach willingly whenever you call out his name.
- Generate a coaching schedule that is short and sweet, say ten minutes three times a day. Long recurring sessions can be uninteresting and the Cairn Terrier is going to lose interest in learning. Make learning interesting and use trick training to demonstrate orders like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Bond with the Cairn Terrier and both of you will love your sessions. The pup should wait to spending time with you and not stay away from you by turning tail or taking cover. Make certain to socialize the pup quickly. Socialization is among the most crucial teachings. The Cairn Terrier will need to learn to exist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, carefully introduce the dog when he is little to normal events and sounds. Take him to the mall/ park, introduce him to children and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Get to know all about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are introductory lessons that every Cairn Terrier puppy must understand. Understand all the characteristics and qualities of the breed. This will give you important ideas on how to effectively train the puppy.
As a Cairn Terrier parent you have a lot of choices. You may choose to train the Cairn Terrier on your own or enroll at a skilled professional training school. Training a Cairn Terrier has many phases: kindergarten, behavior training, doggy sports, presenting and conformation, along with other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What standard you decide to train depends on you in addition to the brainpower of your Cairn Terrier. As you recognize, various dogs, like people, have different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Cairn Terrier pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Cairn Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂