All of us hope for training the perfect American Akita, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and reliable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the teaching is done with care and dedication. Bear in mind pups learn from day one and really need to be taught what is correct, what is wrong, and effective socialization.
Puppies behave like small children, they need continuous supervision and instruction. Training a pup needn’t be an ordeal, all you want to remember are a few basic rules:
10 Tips For Training Your American Akita
- Till your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on her at all times. Once you are unable to then you ought to crate him. Make a calendar for the pup, that will serve to help her to settle down fast. The schedule should consist of things such as hourly potty visits, eating times, sleep periods, walks, play time, instruction, etc. A pup that has a very busy day has no time for being unoccupied and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to appreciate you. American Akitas live in packs and naturally need a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will eventually become easy as the pup will obey you at all times and not test your authority.
- Use only constructive training tactics. Do not yell at, attack, or abuse your American Akita. It is not only harsh but can easily provoke behavioral problems. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could easily wound the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a mantra that is widely regarded as a practical training tool. As you apply this, the pup will find out that to experience something like affection, a stroll, or treat, he must behave properly.
- Explain the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not encourage behaviors such as jumping, growling, tug-o-war, howling, or escaping open gates and doors. Commend courtesy and ignore or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly realize that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a habit you need to witness the American Akita in the process and surprise her by rattling a canister of rocks. As soon as you have done this make him correct his behavior and instantly give him a treat and praise. American Akitas do not recall what occurred prior so scolding him after an occurrence is useless.
- At all times call/use his name positively. Never ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause mental confusion and the American Akita will believe that if you call his name then it is something negative. The puppy must affiliate his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this transpires he will come willingly as soon as you call out his name.
- Create a training routine that is short and sweet, say ten minutes three times a day. Lengthy repetitive sessions can be uninteresting and the American Akita will lose interest in learning. Make training fun-filled and use trick training sessions to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come and more.
- Bond with the American Akita and both of you will definitely get a kick out of your lessons. The pup needs to hope for hanging out with you and not keep away from you by turning tail or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the young dog as soon as possible. Socialization is one of the most crucial teachings. The American Akita has to figure out how to coexist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly and gradually introduce the pup when he is small to ordinary activities and sounds. Take him to the store/ dog park, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Learn all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, as well as food training. These are basic lessons that every American Akita puppy has to understand. Understand all the mannerisms as well as qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to effectively educate the puppy.
As a American Akita parent you have numerous options. You may decide to train the American Akita by yourself or enroll at a professional training school. Training a American Akita has numerous phases: preschool, behavior training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, as well as other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What values you choose to teach depends on you as well as the learning abilities of your American Akita. As you know, different dogs, like humans, possess different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your American Akita pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about American Akitas.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂