All of us hope for training the perfect Boerboel, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the teaching is done with kindness and dedication. Keep in mind pups learn from the first day and really need to be shown what is correct, what is not, and proper interpersonal skills.
Pups are just like children, they desire regular guidance and training. Training a pup doesn’t have to be an ordeal, all you have to bear in mind are a few straightforward rules:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Boerboel
- Til your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. If you can’t then you must definitely cage him. Design a schedule for the pup, this will serve to help him to settle down fast. The calendar needs to consist of things such as hourly potty breaks, eating times, break periods, strolls, play time, training, and more. A pup that has a busy day has no time for being unoccupied or misbehave.
- Train the pup to heed you. Boerboels stay in packs and naturally follow a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will end up being easy because the pup will obey you at all times and not question your authority.
- Utilize only positive training tactics. Do not shout at, strike, or punish your Boerboel. It is not just cruel but might result in behavioral concerns. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could hurt the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is widely acknowledged as a practical teaching tool. In the event that you apply this, the pup will learn that to experience anything like love, a walk, or reward, he needs to act well.
- Show the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not advocate behaviors such as leaping, mouthing, tug-o-war, howling, or running out of open gates and doors. Applaud proper behavior and dismiss or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will learn that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a habit you need to catch the Boerboel in the process and startle him by rattling a bottle of rocks. When you have done this make him remedy his behavior and promptly give him a treat and appreciation. Boerboels do not recollect what took place earlier so rebuking him after an occurrence is useless.
- Be sure to call/use his name favorably. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the Boerboel will believe that if you call his name then it is something negative. The dog should associate his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this transpires he will approach willingly the minute you call out his name.
- Make a coaching routine that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes 3 times a day. Extensive repetitive trainings can be uninspiring and the Boerboel will lose interest in the learning session. Help make learning fun-filled and use trick training sessions to show orders like sit, down, come and so on.
- Connect with the Boerboel and both of you are going to enjoy your sessions. The pup must wait to spending time with you and not stay clear of you by breaking away or taking cover. Make certain to socialize the young dog as soon as possible. Socialization is one of the most crucial lessons. The Boerboel must learn to coexist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly and gradually introduce the doggie when he is little to common activities and sounds. Take him to the shopping mall/ dog park, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Learn all about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are introductory lessons that every Boerboel puppy must understand. Know about all the mannerisms in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you important insights on how to effectively teach the dog.
As a Boerboel owner you have lots of choices. You could very well choose to train the Boerboel yourself or register at a pro training school. Training a Boerboel has numerous steps: preschool, obedience training, dog sports, showing and conformation, and other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What standard you decide to train hinges on you in addition to the learning abilities of your Boerboel. As you recognize, various dogs, like people, have varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Boerboel pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Boerboels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂