All of us long for training the perfect Lagotto Romagnolo, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true if the teaching is done with kindness and focus. Always remember pups learn from day one and want to be informed what is correct, what isn’t, and appropriate socialization.
Pups are just like kids, they have to have continuous supervision and teaching. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a challenge, all you have to bear in mind are a few simple principles:
Ten Tips For Training Your Lagotto Romagnolo
- Til your pup is trained, you want to keep an eye on her at all times. If you are unable to then you need to crate her. Make a routine for the pup, this will help her to settle down quickly. The routine needs to include things like regular potty breaks, eating times, break times, walks, play time, exercise, et cetera. A pup that has a very busy day has no time at all to get bored and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to heed you. Lagotto Romagnolos stay in packs and naturally adhere to a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then teaching will eventually become easy because the pup will heed orders at all times and not question your power.
- Use only constructive training tactics. Do not ever scream at, strike, or abuse your Lagotto Romagnolo. It is not just unkind but can easily result in behavioral issues. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could wound the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a system that is generally accepted as a very useful training method. If you execute this, the pup will discover that to experience anything like affection, a stroll, or reward, he needs to behave well.
- Demonstrate the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not advocate behaviors such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yipping, or running out of open gates and doors. Celebrate courtesy and ignore or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly realize that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you need to witness the Lagotto Romagnolo in the act and startle him by rattling a canister of rocks. As soon as you have done this make him remedy his behavior and promptly give him a treat and approval. Lagotto Romagnolos do not recall what occurred previously so reprimanding him after an occurrence is of no use.
- At all times call/use his name favorably. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create mental confusion and the Lagotto Romagnolo will presume that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The pup must identify his name with happy events like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this happens he will approach happily anytime you call out his name.
- Establish a coaching regimen that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes 3 times a day. Long recurring lessons can be monotonous and the Lagotto Romagnolo will lose interest in learning. Make learning fun and use trick training to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come and more.
- Bond with the Lagotto Romagnolo and both of you will certainly appreciate your sessions. The pup ought to wait to spending quality time with you and not keep away from you by breaking away or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the dog quickly. Socialization is one of the most important lessons. The Lagotto Romagnolo must definitely master how to exist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly introduce the puppy when he is small to ordinary endeavors and sounds. Take him to the shopping center/ playground, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Study everything about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, together with food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Lagotto Romagnolo puppy needs to understand. Know about all the characteristics in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you useful ideas on how to effectively teach the dog.
As a Lagotto Romagnolo parent you have plenty of choices. You could possibly choose to train the Lagotto Romagnolo on your own or register at a high quality training school. Training a Lagotto Romagnolo has numerous steps: kindergarten, behavior training, doggy sports, presenting and conformation, in addition to other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What values you choose to teach depends on you as well as the brainpower of your Lagotto Romagnolo. As you understand, different dogs, like people, possess varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Lagotto Romagnolo pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Lagotto Romagnolos.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂