All of us long for training the perfect Segugio Italiano, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the teaching is performed with care and dedication. Remember pups learn from day one and need to be instructed what is correct, what isn’t, and proper socialization.
Pups act like young children, they demand continuous guidance and instruction. Training a pup need not be a nightmare, all you need to take note of are a few basic guidelines:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Segugio Italiano
- Until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you can not then you must definitely cage him. Design a schedule for the pup, that will enable him to calm down very quickly. The plan should include things such as hourly potty visits, eating times, relaxation periods, walks, play time, instruction, and more. A pup that has a very busy day has no time to get unoccupied and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to respect you. Segugio Italianos stay in packs and naturally comply with a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will come easy because the pup will follow orders at all times and not defy your power.
- Use exclusively encouraging training tactics. Do not yell at, strike, or abuse your Segugio Italiano. It is not only terrible but will bring about behavioral issues. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could wound the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is frequently acknowledged as an useful teaching method. As you apply this, your pup will learn that to experience anything like affection, a stroll, or treat, he has to act properly.
- Show the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not reinforce behaviors like leaping, mouthing, tug-o-war, barking, or escaping open gates and doors. Celebrate courtesy and disregard or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly learn that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a behavior you must witness the Segugio Italiano in the act and surprise her by shaking a can of stones. Once you have done this make him straighten out his behavior and promptly give him a snack and appreciation. Segugio Italianos do not remember what took place earlier so reprimanding him after an event is useless.
- Be sure to call/use his name positively. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create mental confusion and the Segugio Italiano will think that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The doggie needs to link his name with pleasant events like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this occurs he will come happily the second you call out his name.
- Develop a coaching regimen that is short and sweet, about ten minutes 3 times a day. Extensive repeated lessons can be uninspiring and the Segugio Italiano is going to lose interest in the learning session. Help make lessons cool and use trick training sessions to demonstrate orders like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Bond with the Segugio Italiano and both of you will certainly like your lessons. The pup should anticipate hanging out with you and not steer clear of you by running away or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the puppy dog as soon as possible. Socialization is among the most essential lessons. The Segugio Italiano should master how to exist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly and gradually introduce the puppy when he is small to everyday events and sounds. Take him to the store/ playground, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Discover all about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, as well as food training. These are remedial lessons that every Segugio Italiano puppy needs to understand. Understand all the traits and peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to effectively teach the puppy.
As a Segugio Italiano owner you have plenty of options. You could very well decide to train the Segugio Italiano yourself or register at a pro training school. Training a Segugio Italiano has several steps: kindergarten, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, along with other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What standard you choose to coach is dependent on you in addition to the learning abilities of your Segugio Italiano. As you understand, different dogs, like people, possess varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Segugio Italiano pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Segugio Italianos.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂