We all hope for training the perfect Elo, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams do come true if the training is performed with care and commitment. Do not forget pups learn from the first day and need to be shown what is correct, what is wrong, and correct socialization.
Puppies are like children, they crave regular guidance and training. Training a pup need not be a nightmare, all you need to keep in mind are a few straightforward principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Elo
- Til your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. Whenever you can not then you will need to cage him. Put together a calendar for the pup, this will enable him to calm down very quickly. The plan has to include things like hourly bathroom breaks, eating times, sleep periods, walks, play time, teaching, and more. A pup that has a very busy day has no time at all to become unoccupied or misbehave.
- Train the pup to value you. Elos stay in packs and naturally comply with a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then instructing will eventually become easy as the pup will heed you at all times and not challenge your authority.
- Use only encouraging training methods. Do not yell at, strike, or punish your Elo. It’s not just cruel but may trigger behavioral problems. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera may possibly injure the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a method of teaching that is commonly recognized as a helpful training method. When you reinforce this, the pup will find out that to experience anything like love, a stroll, or treat, he will need to behave well.
- Explain the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not endorse behaviors like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, yipping, or escaping open gates and doors. Praise courtesy and ignore or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a habit you need to witness the Elo in the process and surprise him by rattling a jar of stones. Once you have done this make him fix his behavior and promptly offer him a snack and praise. Elos do not think of what happened earlier so scolding him after an occurrence is of no use.
- At all times call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger mental confusion and the Elo will presume that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The pup must identify his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this happens he will come willingly the minute you call his name.
- Develop a teaching regimen that is short and sweet, about ten minutes 3 times a day. Lengthy repeated lessons can be uninteresting and the Elo will lose interest in the learning session. Make learning exciting and use trick training sessions to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Bond with the Elo and both of you will certainly enjoy your sessions. The pup must expect hanging out with you and not steer clear of you by breaking away or hiding. Be sure to socialize the pup early on. Socialization is among the most crucial teachings. The Elo needs to learn to be with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly introduce the doggy when he is little to everyday activities and noises. Take him to the shopping center/ playground, introduce him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and water hose.
- Study everything about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are remedial lessons that every Elo puppy needs to understand. Learn about all the mannerisms and qualities of the breed. This will give you useful information on how to successfully coach the doggie.
As a Elo owner you have lots of choices. You could certainly choose to train the Elo by yourself or sign up at a pro training school. Training a Elo has several levels: kindergarten, behavior training, doggy sports, presenting and conformation, in addition to other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What level you decide to coach is dependent on you as well as the brainpower of your Elo. As you realize, various dogs, like humans, possess different talents. Choose well and both you and your Elo pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Elos.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂