More than 50 percent of owners allows their Shar Peis to stay inside and sleep on the sofa or in the bed. For those of you all who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Shar Pei, to follow are our simple rules to follow when deciding the type of shelter you want to provide for your Shar Pei.
How to Build Your Shar Pei a House: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by making sure the house is large enough to fit your Shar Pei’s potential adult size. Humans enjoy having around two feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. The Shar Pei will also appreciate having that much space. The comfort zone for both humans and Shar Peis is about 33 percent of their standing height. To calculate how much room the Shar Pei will need get out a measuring tape and measure your Shar Pei. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Shar Pei when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Shar Pei should be able to peer out the front entrance while both sitting and standing. So the Shar Pei won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his belly, make sure that door is high enough. Stand over the Shar Pei and measure the width of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Shar Pei a House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the dog house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow below. To dissuade pests from invading the dog house, and taking your Shar Pei’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the panels under the eaves. Put a wind block inside the dog house so the Shar Pei can use the heat of its body to warm up the area if it is extremely cold or breezy outside. Think about adding a partial wall which will help your Shar Pei to escape the nasty weather. Your Shar Pei can decide to just sleep in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved Shar Pei would probably love having a cushion or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Shar Pei: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the house make the floor just a little bit slanted in the direction of the entrance and build the roof a little bit on an angle, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so make sure the house is facing a different direction. Most house blueprints recommend that the house doorway faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the door then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Shar Pei’s Dog House
5. It’s suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Shar Pei a dog house. This makes it simpler for you to empty your Shar Pei’s home. You should clean out your Shar Pei’s house as frequently as you give your Shar Pei a bath.
Shar Pei Dog House: Conclusion
If your Shar Pei stays outdoors then he deserves to have a comfortable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for your Shar Pei will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Shar Peis.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂