More than 50% of the population permit their Schweizer Laufhunds to live inside and sleep on the sofa or in the bed. For those of you who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Schweizer Laufhund, below are some easy rules to follow when deciding the type of house you want to build for your Schweizer Laufhund.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Schweizer Laufhund: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by making sure the house is big enough to accommodate your Schweizer Laufhund’s potential mature size. As humans, we enjoy having around 2 feet of air overhead in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. The Schweizer Laufhund will probably also enjoy having that much space. The comfort zone for both people and Schweizer Laufhunds is around 33% of their standing height. To calculate how much space the Schweizer Laufhund will need go get a ruler and measure your Schweizer Laufhund. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Schweizer Laufhund when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Schweizer Laufhund should be able to gaze out the front entrance when both sitting and standing. So the Schweizer Laufhund will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his belly, make sure that door is tall enough. Stand above the Schweizer Laufhund and measure the width of the widest point of the Schweizer Laufhund’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Schweizer Laufhund a Dog House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the dog house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow below. To discourage bugs from invading the dog house, and taking your Schweizer Laufhund’s health into consideration, remember how important fresh air is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the walls underneath the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Schweizer Laufhund can use the heat of its own body to warm the area if it is really cold or breezy outside. Think about adding a partial wall which will help your Schweizer Laufhund to escape the nasty weather. Your animal can choose to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved Schweizer Laufhund would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
Building a Dog House for Your Schweizer Laufhund: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain coming into the house make the floor just a little bit tilted toward the entrance and build the roof a little bit slanted, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the south and west so ensure the dog house faces a different direction. Most house blueprints suggest that the dog house opening faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the entrance then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Schweizer Laufhund’s House
5. It’s suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Schweizer Laufhund a house. This makes it easier for you to empty your Schweizer Laufhund’s home. You should empty out your Schweizer Laufhund’s house as often as you give your Schweizer Laufhund a bath.
Schweizer Laufhund Dog House: Conclusion
If your Schweizer Laufhund lives outside then he needs to have a comfortable place to sleep and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for the Schweizer Laufhund will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Schweizer Laufhunds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂