Over 50 percent of the population allows their Shih Tzus to stay indoors and sleep on the sofa or in their owner’s bed. For those of y’all who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Shih Tzu, following are some easy rules to follow when considering the type of house you want to build for your Shih Tzu.
Building Your Shih Tzu a House: Size
1. You should begin your house building process by making sure the house is big enough to accommodate your Shih Tzu’s potential adult size. As humans, we enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Shih Tzu will also enjoy having that much space. The target zone for both people and Shih Tzus is about 1/3 of their standing height. To calculate how much room the Shih Tzu will need go get a ruler and measure your Shih Tzu. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Shih Tzu when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Shih Tzu should be able to see out the front entrance when both sitting and standing. So the Shih Tzu will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his belly, make sure that door is tall enough. Stand over the Shih Tzu and measure the width of the broadest point of the Shih Tzu’s shoulders.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Shih Tzu: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the dog house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow below. To dissuade pests from invading the dog house, and taking your Shih Tzu’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the panels below the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the Shih Tzu can use the warmth of its body to heat up the space if it is extremely cold or breezy outside. Think about adding a partial panel which will allow your Shih Tzu to escape the inclement weather. Your Shih Tzu can decide to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably love having a pillow or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
Building Your Shih Tzu a House: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the house make the floor just a bit tilted in the direction of the doorway and construct the roof a little bit on an angle, as well. Make sure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the house is facing a different direction. Most house plans suggest that the house entrance faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the doorway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Shih Tzu’s House
5. It is suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Shih Tzu a dog house. This makes it simpler for you to empty your Shih Tzu’s home. You should clean out the Shih Tzu’s house as frequently as you give your Shih Tzu a bath.
Shih Tzu Dog House: Conclusion
If your Shih Tzu stays outdoors then he needs to have a suitable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for your Shih Tzu will help you get going.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Shih Tzus.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂