Greater than 50 percent of owners permit their Rafeiro Do Alentejos to live inside and sleep on the sofa or in the bed. For those of you guys who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Rafeiro Do Alentejo, here are some simple rules to follow when deciding the type of shelter you want to provide for your Rafeiro Do Alentejo.
How to Build a House for Your Rafeiro Do Alentejo: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by making sure the house is large enough to fit your Rafeiro Do Alentejo’s potential adult size. We enjoy having about 2 feet of air overhead in a room in order to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Rafeiro Do Alentejo will also appreciate having that much space. The target zone for both humans and Rafeiro Do Alentejos is about thrity-three percent of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Rafeiro Do Alentejo will need get out a tape measure and measure your Rafeiro Do Alentejo. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Rafeiro Do Alentejo when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Rafeiro Do Alentejo should be able to gaze out the front door while both sitting and standing. So the Rafeiro Do Alentejo won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand above the Rafeiro Do Alentejo and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the Rafeiro Do Alentejo’s shoulders.
Building Your Rafeiro Do Alentejo a Dog House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the dog house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow underneath. To dissuade pests from entering the house, and taking your Rafeiro Do Alentejo’s health into consideration, remember how important ventilation is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the walls below the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Rafeiro Do Alentejo can use the heat of its body to warm the space if it is very cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will permit your Rafeiro Do Alentejo to escape the inclement weather. Your Rafeiro Do Alentejo can decide to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build Your Rafeiro Do Alentejo a Dog House: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the house make the floor just a bit slanted in the direction of the doorway and construct the roof a bit angled, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house faces a different direction. Most house blueprints recommend that the dog house door faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the doorway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Rafeiro Do Alentejo’s House
5. It is recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Rafeiro Do Alentejo a house. This makes it simpler for you to empty your Rafeiro Do Alentejo’s home. You should empty out the Rafeiro Do Alentejo’s house as often as you give your Rafeiro Do Alentejo a bath.
Rafeiro Do Alentejo Dog House: Conclusion
If your Rafeiro Do Alentejo lives outside then he needs to have a comfortable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for the Rafeiro Do Alentejo will help you begin.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Rafeiro Do Alentejos.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂