Greater than fifty percent of owners permit their Salukis to live inside and sleep on the couch or in the bed. For those of you who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Saluki, to follow are some simple rules to follow when considering the type of shelter you want to build for your Saluki.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Saluki: Size
1. You should begin your house building process by making sure the house is large enough to fit your Saluki’s potential adult size. We enjoy having about 2 feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling boxed in. Your Saluki will probably also enjoy having that much room. The comfort zone for both humans and Salukis is around 1/3 of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Saluki will need get out a ruler and measure your Saluki. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Saluki when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Saluki should be able to see out the front entrance while both sitting and standing. So the Saluki won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his stomach, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand above the Saluki and measure the breadth of the widest point of the Saluki’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Saluki a Dog House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow below. To discourage bugs from invading the dog house, and taking your Saluki’s health into consideration, remember how vital fresh air is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the panels below the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the Saluki can use the warmth of its own body to heat the area if it is very cold or windy outside. Think about adding a partial panel which will help your Saluki to escape the unpleasant weather. Your Saluki can decide to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
How to Build a House for Your Saluki: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the dog house make the floor just a little bit slanted in the direction of the entrance and build the roof a little bit on an angle, as well. Make sure the house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the interior.
4. In the US most storms come from the west and south so ensure the house faces a different direction. Most dog house plans suggest that the dog house entryway faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the opening then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Saluki’s Dog House
5. It’s suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Saluki a house. This makes it simpler for you to empty your Saluki’s house. You should empty the Saluki’s house as frequently as you give your Saluki a bath.
Saluki Dog House: Conclusion
If your Saluki lives outdoors then he needs to have a comfortable place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for the Saluki will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Salukis.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂