More than 50 percent of the population allows their Papillons to live inside and sleep on their couch or in the bed. For those of you who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Papillon, here are some simple rules to follow when determining what type of house you want to build for your Papillon.
How to Build Your Papillon a Dog House: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by making sure the house is large enough to fit your Papillon’s potential adult size. We enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. Your Papillon will probably also appreciate having that much room. The comfort zone for both people and Papillons is around 1/3 of their standing height. To calculate how much room the Papillon will need go get a ruler and measure your Papillon. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Papillon when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Papillon should be able to gaze out the front entrance when both standing up and sitting. So the Papillon will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his stomach, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand over the Papillon and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the Papillon’s shoulders.
Building Your Papillon a Dog House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the house several inches from the ground to permit water and air to flow below. To discourage pests from entering the house, and taking your Papillon’s health into consideration, remember how vital ventilation is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the panels below the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Papillon can use the heat of its body to heat the space if it is very cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will permit your Papillon to escape the unpleasant weather. Your animal can choose to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved Papillon would probably love having a pillow or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
How to Build a House for Your Papillon: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the house make the floor just a little bit tilted toward the door and build the roof a little bit tilted, as well. Make sure the house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the inside.
4. In the United States most storms come from the south and west so make sure the house faces a different direction. Most dog house plans suggest that the dog house opening faces east. The cold air won’t be able to whip through the doorway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Papillon’s Dog House
5. It is suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Papillon a house. This makes it easier for you to clean your Papillon’s house. You should clean the Papillon’s house as often as you give your Papillon a bath.
Papillon Dog House: Conclusion
If your Papillon stays outdoors then he needs to have a suitable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for the Papillon will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Papillons.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂