Greater than 50% of owners permit their Kooikerhondjes to live inside and sleep on the couch or in the bed. For those of y’all who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Kooikerhondje, following are some simple rules to follow when deciding the type of house you want to provide for your Kooikerhondje.
Building a House for Your Kooikerhondje: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by making sure the house is big enough to fit your Kooikerhondje’s potential adult size. Humans enjoy having about two feet of air overhead in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. The Kooikerhondje will also appreciate having that much space. The comfort zone for both people and Kooikerhondjes is around 1/3 of their standing height. To figure out how much space the Kooikerhondje will need get out a ruler and measure your Kooikerhondje. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Kooikerhondje when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Kooikerhondje should be able to peer out the front entrance while both standing up and sitting. So the Kooikerhondje will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his stomach, make sure that door is high enough. Stand above the Kooikerhondje and measure the width of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
Building Your Kooikerhondje a House: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the house several inches from the ground to permit water and air to flow below. To dissuade bugs from entering the house, and taking your Kooikerhondje’s health into consideration, remember how vital fresh air is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the walls below the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Kooikerhondje can use the heat of its own body to warm up the area if it is really cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will permit your Kooikerhondje to escape the inclement weather. Your animal can decide to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved Kooikerhondje would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
How to Build Your Kooikerhondje a House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the dog house make the floor just a bit slanted in the direction of the entryway and build the roof a little bit angled, as well. Make sure the dog house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the inside.
4. In the US most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most house plans recommend that the house entrance faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the opening then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Kooikerhondje’s House
5. It’s suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Kooikerhondje a dog house. This makes it simpler for you to clean your Kooikerhondje’s home. You should clean your Kooikerhondje’s house as often as you give your Kooikerhondje a bath.
Kooikerhondje Dog House: Conclusion
If your Kooikerhondje lives outdoors then he deserves to have a pleasant place to sleep and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for your Kooikerhondje will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Kooikerhondjes.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂