Over 50% of people allows their French Spaniels to live inside and sleep on their sofa or in the bed. For those of you who are interested in how to build a dog house for your French Spaniel, below are our easy rules to follow when figuring out the type of house you want to provide for your French Spaniel.
Building Your French Spaniel a Dog House: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by making sure the house is big enough to accommodate your French Spaniel’s potential adult size. People enjoy having about 2 feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling boxed in. Your French Spaniel will also enjoy having that much space. The target zone for both humans and French Spaniels is approximately 1/3 of their standing height. To calculate how much room the French Spaniel will need get out a tape measure and measure your French Spaniel. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the French Spaniel when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your French Spaniel should be able to peer out the front entrance while both sitting and standing. So the French Spaniel won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand above the French Spaniel and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the French Spaniel’s shoulders.
Building a House for Your French Spaniel: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow below. To dissuade pests from invading the house, and taking your French Spaniel’s health into consideration, remember how vital ventilation is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the panels underneath the eaves. Put a wind block inside the dog house so the French Spaniel can use the warmth of its body to heat up the space if it is very cold or breezy outside. Think about adding a partial panel which will help your French Spaniel to escape the unpleasant weather. Your animal can decide to just sleep in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your French Spaniel: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain coming into the house make the floor just a little bit slanted in the direction of the opening and construct the roof a bit on an angle, as well. Make sure the house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the south and west so make sure the dog house faces a different direction. Most dog house blueprints suggest that the house door faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the entrance then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your French Spaniel’s Dog House
5. It is suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your French Spaniel a house. This makes it easier for you to empty out your French Spaniel’s house. You should empty the French Spaniel’s house as much as you give your French Spaniel a bath.
French Spaniel Dog House: Conclusion
If your French Spaniel lives outside then he deserves to have a suitable place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for the French Spaniel will help you get going.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about French Spaniels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂