Over 50% of owners permit their Tervurens to live indoors and sleep on the couch or in the bed. For those of you guys who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Tervuren, following are our simple rules to follow when determining what type of shelter you want to build for your Tervuren.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Tervuren: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to accommodate your Tervuren’s potential mature size. As humans, we enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air above us in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. The Tervuren will also appreciate having that much room. The target zone for both humans and Tervurens is approximately 1/3 of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Tervuren will need go get a tape measure and measure your Tervuren. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Tervuren when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Tervuren should be able to look out the front door while both sitting and standing. So the Tervuren will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his belly, make sure that door is high enough. Stand above the Tervuren and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
Building a Dog House for Your Tervuren: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the house several inches from the ground to permit water and air to flow below. To dissuade bugs from invading the dog house, and taking your Tervuren’s health into consideration, remember how important air circulation is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the walls below the eaves. Put a wind block inside the dog house so the Tervuren can use the heat of its body to heat up the area if it is very cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will permit your Tervuren to escape the unpleasant weather. Your Tervuren can choose to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved Tervuren would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
Building a House for Your Tervuren: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the dog house make the floor just a bit tilted in the direction of the opening and build the roof a bit slanted, as well. Make sure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house faces a different direction. Most dog house plans suggest that the house entrance faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the doorway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Tervuren’s House
5. It is suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Tervuren a dog house. This makes it simpler for you to clean out your Tervuren’s home. You should clean your Tervuren’s house as much as you give your Tervuren a bath.
Tervuren Dog House: Conclusion
If your Tervuren stays outdoors then he needs to have a suitable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for the Tervuren will help you get going.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Tervurens.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂