More than 50% of owners permit their Dutch Smoushonds to live inside and sleep on the sofa or in their owner’s bed. For those of y’all who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Dutch Smoushond, to follow are some simple rules to follow when considering what type of house you want to build for your Dutch Smoushond.
How to Build Your Dutch Smoushond a Dog House: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to fit your Dutch Smoushond’s potential mature size. Humans enjoy having around 2 feet of air above us in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Dutch Smoushond will also appreciate having that much space. The comfort zone for both humans and Dutch Smoushonds is around 1/3 of their standing height. To calculate how much space the Dutch Smoushond will need get out a ruler and measure your Dutch Smoushond. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Dutch Smoushond when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Dutch Smoushond should be able to gaze out the front door while both sitting and standing. So the Dutch Smoushond won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his tummy, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand above the Dutch Smoushond and measure the breadth of the widest point of the animal’s shoulders.
How to Build a House for Your Dutch Smoushond: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow below. To dissuade bugs from entering the dog house, and taking your Dutch Smoushond’s health into consideration, remember how important air circulation is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the panels below the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the Dutch Smoushond can use the warmth of its own body to heat up the space if it is extremely cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will permit your Dutch Smoushond to escape the nasty weather. Your animal can decide to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved Dutch Smoushond would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
How to Build Your Dutch Smoushond a Dog House: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the house make the floor just a bit tilted toward the entryway and build the roof a bit on an angle, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In the US most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house faces a different direction. Most dog house blueprints suggest that the house entrance faces east. The cold air won’t be able to whip through the door then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Dutch Smoushond’s Dog House
5. It is recommended that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Dutch Smoushond a dog house. This makes it simpler for you to clean out your Dutch Smoushond’s home. You should clean your Dutch Smoushond’s house as much as you give your Dutch Smoushond a bath.
Dutch Smoushond Dog House: Conclusion
If your Dutch Smoushond stays outside then he deserves to have a suitable place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for your Dutch Smoushond will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Dutch Smoushonds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂