Over 50% of owners allows their Finnish Lapphunds to stay inside and sleep on the couch or in the bed. For those of you who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Finnish Lapphund, below are our easy rules to follow when determining the type of shelter you want to build for your Finnish Lapphund.
Building Your Finnish Lapphund a House: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to accommodate your Finnish Lapphund’s potential mature size. People enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. The Finnish Lapphund will probably also appreciate having that much space. The target zone for both humans and Finnish Lapphunds is about 33% of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Finnish Lapphund will need go get a ruler and measure your Finnish Lapphund. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Finnish Lapphund when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Finnish Lapphund should be able to gaze out the front entrance while both standing up and sitting. So the Finnish Lapphund will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his belly, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand above the Finnish Lapphund and measure the breadth of the widest point of the Finnish Lapphund’s shoulders.
How to Build a House for Your Finnish Lapphund: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the dog house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow underneath. To dissuade pests from entering the dog house, and taking your Finnish Lapphund’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the panels underneath the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Finnish Lapphund can use the heat of its body to heat up the area if it is really cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will help your Finnish Lapphund to escape the nasty weather. Your Finnish Lapphund can decide to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved Finnish Lapphund would probably love having a pillow or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
Building Your Finnish Lapphund a Dog House: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain coming into the dog house make the floor just a little bit angled in the direction of the doorway and build the roof a little bit slanted, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the house is facing a different direction. Most dog house blueprints suggest that the house opening faces east. The cold air won’t be able to whip through the entrance then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Finnish Lapphund’s House
5. It’s suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Finnish Lapphund a house. This makes it simpler for you to clean out your Finnish Lapphund’s house. You should clean your Finnish Lapphund’s house as often as you give your Finnish Lapphund a bath.
Finnish Lapphund Dog House: Conclusion
If your Finnish Lapphund lives outside then he needs to have a pleasant place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for your Finnish Lapphund will help you begin.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Finnish Lapphunds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂