Greater than 50% of owners permit their Australian Kelpies to stay indoors and sleep on the sofa or in the owner’s bed. For those of you who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Australian Kelpie, below are our easy rules to follow when figuring out what type of house you want to provide for your Australian Kelpie.
Building a House for Your Australian Kelpie: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by making sure the house is large enough to accommodate your Australian Kelpie’s potential mature size. We enjoy having about 2 feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling claustrophobic. The Australian Kelpie will also enjoy having that much space. The target zone for both people and Australian Kelpies is around 33 percent of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Australian Kelpie will need get a ruler and measure your Australian Kelpie. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Australian Kelpie when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Australian Kelpie should be able to peer out the front entrance while both standing up and sitting. So the Australian Kelpie won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his belly, make sure that door is tall enough. Stand above the Australian Kelpie and measure the width of the broadest point of the Australian Kelpie’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Australian Kelpie a Dog House: Elevation
2. Remember to raise the house several inches from the ground to permit water and air to flow below. To discourage bugs from entering the house, and taking your Australian Kelpie’s health into consideration, remember how important ventilation is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the walls under the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the Australian Kelpie can use the warmth of its own body to heat the space if it is very cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will help your Australian Kelpie to escape the bad weather. Your Australian Kelpie can choose to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved Australian Kelpie would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of bedding to snooze on.
Building Your Australian Kelpie a Dog House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the house make the floor just a bit slanted in the direction of the door and build the roof a bit on an angle, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most house blueprints recommend that the dog house door faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Australian Kelpie’s House
5. It is suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Australian Kelpie a house. This makes it simpler for you to clean out your Australian Kelpie’s home. You should clean out your Australian Kelpie’s house as often as you give your Australian Kelpie a bath.
Australian Kelpie Dog House: Conclusion
If your Australian Kelpie stays outside then he deserves to have a pleasant place to sleep and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for your Australian Kelpie will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Australian Kelpies.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂