More than 50% of the population permit their Vizslas to stay indoors and sleep on their sofa or in the bed. For those of you guys who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Vizsla, to follow are some simple rules to follow when determining what type of shelter you want to provide for your Vizsla.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Vizsla: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by making sure the house is large enough to accommodate your Vizsla’s potential adult size. Humans enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling boxed in. Your Vizsla will also enjoy having that much space. The target zone for both humans and Vizslas is about 33% of their standing height. To calculate how much room the Vizsla will need get out a ruler and measure your Vizsla. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Vizsla when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Vizsla should be able to see out the front door while both sitting and standing. So the Vizsla will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his belly, make sure that door is high enough. Stand over the Vizsla and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the Vizsla’s shoulders.
Building Your Vizsla a Dog House: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow below. To dissuade pests from entering the dog house, and taking your Vizsla’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the panels under the eaves. Put a wind block inside the dog house so the Vizsla can use the heat of its own body to warm the area if it is really cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will permit your Vizsla to escape the bad weather. Your animal can decide to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
Building a House for Your Vizsla: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the house make the floor just a little bit slanted toward the entrance and build the roof a little bit slanted, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most house plans recommend that the house entrance faces east. The cold air won’t be able to whip through the door then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Vizsla’s Dog House
5. It is recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Vizsla a dog house. This makes it easier for you to empty your Vizsla’s home. You should empty the Vizsla’s house as much as you give your Vizsla a bath.
Vizsla Dog House: Conclusion
If your Vizsla stays outside then he needs to have a comfortable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for the Vizsla will help you begin.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Vizslas.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂