Over 50% of owners permit their Weimaraners to stay inside and sleep on their sofa or in the bed. For those of you who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Weimaraner, below are our easy rules to follow when figuring out the type of shelter you want to provide for your Weimaraner.
How to Build Your Weimaraner a House: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to fit your Weimaraner’s potential adult size. As humans, we enjoy having about 2 feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Weimaraner will probably also appreciate having that much space. The comfort zone for both people and Weimaraners is approximately thrity-three percent of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Weimaraner will need get a tape measure and measure your Weimaraner. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Weimaraner when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Weimaraner should be able to see out the front door while both sitting and standing. So the Weimaraner won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that door is tall enough. Stand above the Weimaraner and measure the width of the broadest point of the Weimaraner’s shoulders.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Weimaraner: Elevation
2. Remember to raise the house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow below. To discourage bugs from invading the dog house, and taking your Weimaraner’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the walls underneath the eaves. Install a wind block inside the house so the Weimaraner can use the heat of its own body to heat up the space if it is very cold or breezy outside. Think about adding a partial wall which will help your Weimaraner to escape the nasty weather. Your Weimaraner can choose to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably love having a pillow or some sort of bedding to snooze on.
How to Build a House for Your Weimaraner: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the house make the floor just a little bit slanted in the direction of the entryway and construct the roof a bit angled, as well. Make sure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In the United States most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house faces a different direction. Most dog house plans suggest that the dog house door faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the door then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Weimaraner’s House
5. It’s recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Weimaraner a house. This makes it easier for you to empty out your Weimaraner’s home. You should empty out your Weimaraner’s house as much as you give your Weimaraner a bath.
Weimaraner Dog House: Conclusion
If your Weimaraner lives outside then he needs to have a suitable place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for the Weimaraner will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Weimaraners.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂