Greater than 50% of owners permit their Picardy Spaniels to live inside and sleep on the couch or in the bed. For those of y’all who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Picardy Spaniel, following are some easy rules to follow when figuring out the type of house you want to build for your Picardy Spaniel.
Building a House for Your Picardy Spaniel: Size
1. You should start your house building process by making sure the house is large enough to fit your Picardy Spaniel’s potential mature size. As humans, we enjoy having approximately two feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling boxed in. Your Picardy Spaniel will probably also appreciate having that much room. The target zone for both humans and Picardy Spaniels is about 33% of their standing height. To figure out how much space the Picardy Spaniel will need get a tape measure and measure your Picardy Spaniel. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Picardy Spaniel when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Picardy Spaniel should be able to see out the front door when both standing up and sitting. So the Picardy Spaniel will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his stomach, make sure that entrance is tall enough. Stand above the Picardy Spaniel and measure the breadth of the widest point of the animal’s shoulders.
How to Build a House for Your Picardy Spaniel: Elevation
2. Remember to raise the house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow underneath. To dissuade bugs from entering the house, and taking your Picardy Spaniel’s health into consideration, remember how important air circulation is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the panels under the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Picardy Spaniel can use the warmth of its own body to heat the area if it is very cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will allow your Picardy Spaniel to escape the inclement weather. Your animal can decide to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved Picardy Spaniel would probably love having a pillow or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build Your Picardy Spaniel a House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the house make the floor just a little bit angled in the direction of the entrance and build the roof a little bit slanted, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the inside.
4. In the United States most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most dog house blueprints suggest that the dog house opening faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the doorway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Picardy Spaniel’s House
5. It’s recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Picardy Spaniel a house. This makes it easier for you to empty your Picardy Spaniel’s house. You should clean the Picardy Spaniel’s house as frequently as you give your Picardy Spaniel a bath.
Picardy Spaniel Dog House: Conclusion
If your Picardy Spaniel lives outdoors then he needs to have a comfortable place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for your Picardy Spaniel will help you begin.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Picardy Spaniels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂