Over 50% of owners permit their Kumaon Mastiffs to live indoors and sleep on their sofa or in their owner’s bed. For those of you all who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Kumaon Mastiff, below are our simple rules to follow when considering what type of house you want to build for your Kumaon Mastiff.
Building Your Kumaon Mastiff a Dog House: Size
1. You should start your house building process by ensuring the house is big enough to fit your Kumaon Mastiff’s potential mature size. Humans enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air overhead in a room in order to live without feeling claustrophobic. The Kumaon Mastiff will probably also appreciate having that much room. The comfort zone for both humans and Kumaon Mastiffs is about 33% of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Kumaon Mastiff will need go get a tape measure and measure your Kumaon Mastiff. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Kumaon Mastiff when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Kumaon Mastiff should be able to look out the front entrance while both sitting and standing. So the Kumaon Mastiff won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his belly, make sure that door is high enough. Stand above the Kumaon Mastiff and measure the width of the widest point of the animal’s shoulders.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Kumaon Mastiff: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow underneath. To dissuade pests from entering the dog house, and taking your Kumaon Mastiff’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Put in a few nickel-sized openings in the walls below the eaves. Install a wind block inside the house so the Kumaon Mastiff can use the warmth of its own body to warm the area if it is really cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will allow your Kumaon Mastiff to escape the unpleasant weather. Your Kumaon Mastiff can choose to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
Building Your Kumaon Mastiff a Dog House: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the dog house make the floor just a bit angled toward the opening and construct the roof a little bit on an angle, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In the United States most storms come from the south and west so ensure the dog house faces a different direction. Most house blueprints suggest that the dog house doorway faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the opening then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Kumaon Mastiff’s House
5. It is suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Kumaon Mastiff a house. This makes it easier for you to empty your Kumaon Mastiff’s home. You should clean your Kumaon Mastiff’s house as often as you give your Kumaon Mastiff a bath.
Kumaon Mastiff Dog House: Conclusion
If your Kumaon Mastiff lives outdoors then he needs to have a suitable place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for the Kumaon Mastiff will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Kumaon Mastiffs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂