Over 50% of the population allows their Koolies to live indoors and sleep on the sofa or in their owner’s bed. For those of y’all who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Koolie, below are our simple rules to follow when deciding the type of shelter you want to provide for your Koolie.
Building Your Koolie a House: Size
1. You should start your house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to fit your Koolie’s potential mature size. Humans enjoy having approximately two feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling boxed in. Your Koolie will also appreciate having that much room. The comfort zone for both humans and Koolies is about a third of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Koolie will need go get a measuring tape and measure your Koolie. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Koolie when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Koolie should be able to look out the front entrance when both standing up and sitting. So the Koolie won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his stomach, make sure that entrance is tall enough. Stand over the Koolie and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
Building Your Koolie a Dog House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow underneath. To dissuade pests from entering the dog house, and taking your Koolie’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Put in a few nickel-sized openings in the panels under the eaves. Put a wind block inside the dog house so the Koolie can use the heat of its body to heat up the area if it is very cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will permit your Koolie to escape the nasty weather. Your Koolie can choose to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably love having a pillow or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
How to Build Your Koolie a House: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain coming into the dog house make the floor just a bit slanted in the direction of the entryway and construct the roof a bit slanted, as well. Make sure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the south and west so ensure the dog house faces a different direction. Most house plans suggest that the dog house opening faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Koolie’s House
5. It is suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Koolie a dog house. This makes it easier for you to clean your Koolie’s home. You should clean the Koolie’s house as frequently as you give your Koolie a bath.
Koolie Dog House: Conclusion
If your Koolie lives outdoors then he needs to have a pleasant place to sleep and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for your Koolie will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Koolies.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂