More than 50% of the population allows their Catalan Sheepdogs to live indoors and sleep on their sofa or in their owner’s bed. For those of you all who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Catalan Sheepdog, below are some simple rules to follow when considering the type of shelter you want to provide for your Catalan Sheepdog.
Building a House for Your Catalan Sheepdog: Size
1. You should start your house building process by ensuring the house is big enough to accommodate your Catalan Sheepdog’s potential adult size. As humans, we enjoy having around 2 feet of air above us in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Catalan Sheepdog will probably also appreciate having that much room. The comfort zone for both people and Catalan Sheepdogs is around 33 percent of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Catalan Sheepdog will need go get a tape measure and measure your Catalan Sheepdog. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Catalan Sheepdog when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Catalan Sheepdog should be able to peer out the front entrance while both standing up and sitting. So the Catalan Sheepdog won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that door is high enough. Stand over the Catalan Sheepdog and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
Building Your Catalan Sheepdog a House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow underneath. To dissuade bugs from invading the dog house, and taking your Catalan Sheepdog’s health into consideration, remember how vital fresh air is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the panels underneath the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the Catalan Sheepdog can use the warmth of its body to warm up the space if it is extremely cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will allow your Catalan Sheepdog to escape the nasty weather. Your Catalan Sheepdog can decide to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved Catalan Sheepdog would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
Building Your Catalan Sheepdog a House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the dog house make the floor just a little bit tilted toward the entrance and build the roof a little bit slanted, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In the US most storms come from the west and south so make sure the house faces a different direction. Most dog house blueprints recommend that the dog house opening faces east. The cold air won’t be able to whip through the doorway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Catalan Sheepdog’s Dog House
5. It is recommended that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Catalan Sheepdog a house. This makes it simpler for you to empty your Catalan Sheepdog’s home. You should clean the Catalan Sheepdog’s house as frequently as you give your Catalan Sheepdog a bath.
Catalan Sheepdog Dog House: Conclusion
If your Catalan Sheepdog lives outdoors then he needs to have a pleasant place to sleep and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for the Catalan Sheepdog will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Catalan Sheepdogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂