More than fifty percent of the population allows their Welsh Terriers to live inside and sleep on their couch or in the bed. For those of y’all who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Welsh Terrier, below are some simple rules to follow when deciding what type of shelter you want to provide for your Welsh Terrier.
How to Build Your Welsh Terrier a Dog House: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to accommodate your Welsh Terrier’s potential adult size. As humans, we enjoy having about 2 feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling claustrophobic. The Welsh Terrier will also appreciate having that much room. The target zone for both people and Welsh Terriers is approximately 1/3 of their standing height. To calculate how much space the Welsh Terrier will need go get a measuring tape and measure your Welsh Terrier. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Welsh Terrier when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Welsh Terrier should be able to look out the front entrance when both standing up and sitting. So the Welsh Terrier will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his stomach, make sure that door is high enough. Stand over the Welsh Terrier and measure the width of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Welsh Terrier: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow below. To discourage bugs from entering the dog house, and taking your Welsh Terrier’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the walls underneath the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the Welsh Terrier can use the heat of its body to warm the space if it is extremely cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will allow your Welsh Terrier to escape the inclement weather. Your animal can choose to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build Your Welsh Terrier a House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the dog house make the floor just a little bit tilted in the direction of the entrance and build the roof a little bit tilted, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the south and west so make sure the house is facing a different direction. Most dog house blueprints recommend that the house doorway faces east. The cold air won’t be able to whip through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Welsh Terrier’s House
5. It is suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Welsh Terrier a dog house. This makes it easier for you to empty your Welsh Terrier’s home. You should clean out your Welsh Terrier’s house as much as you give your Welsh Terrier a bath.
Welsh Terrier Dog House: Conclusion
If your Welsh Terrier stays outdoors then he needs to have a suitable place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for the Welsh Terrier will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Welsh Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂