Greater than 50% of owners permit their Cairn Terriers to stay indoors and sleep on the couch or in the bed. For those of y’all who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Cairn Terrier, here are some simple rules to follow when determining the type of shelter you want to build for your Cairn Terrier.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Cairn Terrier: Size
1. You should start your house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to fit your Cairn Terrier’s potential mature size. We enjoy having approximately two feet of air above us in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Cairn Terrier will also enjoy having that much space. The comfort zone for both humans and Cairn Terriers is approximately 33% of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Cairn Terrier will need get out a ruler and measure your Cairn Terrier. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Cairn Terrier when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Cairn Terrier should be able to gaze out the front door while both standing up and sitting. So the Cairn Terrier will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his belly, make sure that entrance is tall enough. Stand over the Cairn Terrier and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the Cairn Terrier’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Cairn Terrier a Dog House: Elevation
2. Remember to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow below. To discourage bugs from invading the dog house, and taking your Cairn Terrier’s health into consideration, remember how important air circulation is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the walls below the eaves. Put a wind block inside the dog house so the Cairn Terrier can use the warmth of its own body to warm the space if it is extremely cold or breezy outside. Think about adding a partial panel which will allow your Cairn Terrier to escape the unpleasant weather. Your animal can decide to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Cairn Terrier: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the dog house make the floor just a bit angled in the direction of the entrance and construct the roof a little bit slanted, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the house faces a different direction. Most house plans recommend that the dog house doorway faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the opening then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Cairn Terrier’s Dog House
5. It is recommended that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Cairn Terrier a house. This makes it simpler for you to empty your Cairn Terrier’s home. You should empty out your Cairn Terrier’s house as often as you give your Cairn Terrier a bath.
Cairn Terrier Dog House: Conclusion
If your Cairn Terrier lives outside then he deserves to have a comfortable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for the Cairn Terrier will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Cairn Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂