More than 50 percent of owners permit their Pembroke Welsh Corgis to live indoors and sleep on the sofa or in the owner’s bed. For those of you who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Pembroke Welsh Corgi, here are some easy rules to follow when deciding the type of house you want to build for your Pembroke Welsh Corgi.
Building a Dog House for Your Pembroke Welsh Corgi: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by making sure the house is large enough to accommodate your Pembroke Welsh Corgi’s potential mature size. As humans, we enjoy having approximately 2 feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Pembroke Welsh Corgi will probably also enjoy having that much space. The comfort zone for both humans and Pembroke Welsh Corgis is approximately 33 percent of their standing height. To calculate how much room the Pembroke Welsh Corgi will need get a ruler and measure your Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Pembroke Welsh Corgi when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Pembroke Welsh Corgi should be able to peer out the front door when both standing up and sitting. So the Pembroke Welsh Corgi won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his tummy, make sure that door is high enough. Stand above the Pembroke Welsh Corgi and measure the breadth of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Pembroke Welsh Corgi a Dog House: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow underneath. To discourage bugs from invading the dog house, and taking your Pembroke Welsh Corgi’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the panels under the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Pembroke Welsh Corgi can use the warmth of its own body to heat the space if it is really cold or breezy outside. Think about adding a partial wall which will permit your Pembroke Welsh Corgi to escape the bad weather. Your animal can choose to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved pet would probably love having a cushion or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
How to Build a House for Your Pembroke Welsh Corgi: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the dog house make the floor just a little bit angled in the direction of the entryway and build the roof a bit tilted, as well. Make sure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In the United States most storms come from the south and west so make sure the house faces a different direction. Most house plans recommend that the dog house entrance faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Pembroke Welsh Corgi’s Dog House
5. It is suggested that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Pembroke Welsh Corgi a dog house. This makes it easier for you to clean your Pembroke Welsh Corgi’s home. You should clean out the Pembroke Welsh Corgi’s house as often as you give your Pembroke Welsh Corgi a bath.
Pembroke Welsh Corgi Dog House: Conclusion
If your Pembroke Welsh Corgi lives outdoors then he needs to have a comfortable place to sleep and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for the Pembroke Welsh Corgi will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Pembroke Welsh Corgis.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂