All of us dream of training the perfect Norwegian Lundehund, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams do come true when the teaching is done with kindness and commitment. Realize pups learn from day one and really need to be informed what is correct, what isn’t, and effective interpersonal skills.
Pups act like kids, they are in need of frequent supervision and instruction. Training a pup does not have to be an ordeal, all you need to keep in mind are a few basic rules:
Ten Tips For Training Your Norwegian Lundehund
- Until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you can not then you must definitely crate him. Create a schedule for the pup, this will help him to settle quickly. The routine should include things like regular potty visits, feeding times, break periods, walks, play time, education, and more. A pup that has a busy day has no time at all to become bored and misbehave.
- Teach the pup to value you. Norwegian Lundehunds stay in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then training will get easy because the pup will comply with you at all times and not challenge your authority.
- Utilize only constructive training techniques. Do not holler at, smack, or punish your Norwegian Lundehund. It’s not only unkind but will lead to behavioral challenges. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth could injure the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is universally recognized as a practical teaching tool. When you reinforce this, the pup will learn that to get anything like love, a walk, or reward, he has to act properly.
- Demonstrate the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not advocate behaviors like jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doors. Applaud proper behavior and ignore or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will discover that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a habit you will need to witness the Norwegian Lundehund in the act and startle him by shaking a container of rocks. Once you have done this make him correct his behavior and immediately give him a snack and praise. Norwegian Lundehunds do not recall what took place earlier so scolding him after an occurrence is futile.
- Always call/use his name favorably. Never ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause mental confusion and the Norwegian Lundehund will presume that if you call his name then it is something negative. The dog should relate his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this takes place he will come willingly the moment you call his name.
- Make a coaching regimen that is short and sweet, say ten minutes three times a day. Extensive recurring trainings can be uninspiring and the Norwegian Lundehund will lose interest in learning. Make learning cool and use trick training sessions to teach commands like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Norwegian Lundehund and both of you will definitely enjoy your lessons. The pup ought to eagerly anticipate spending time with you and not avoid you by turning tail or taking cover. Make certain to socialize the pup early. Socialization is one of the most crucial lessons. The Norwegian Lundehund should figure out how to be around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly but surely introduce the dog when he is little to everyday tasks and noises. Take him to the shopping center/ playground, present him to children and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Learn all about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Norwegian Lundehund puppy needs to grasp. Know about all the mannerisms and qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to successfully educate the doggie.
As a Norwegian Lundehund owner you have lots of options. You could very well decide to train the Norwegian Lundehund on your own or enroll at a qualified training school. Training a Norwegian Lundehund has numerous steps: preschool, behavior training, dog sports, showing and conformation, and other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What level you decide to train hinges on you together with the brainpower of your Norwegian Lundehund. As you realize, various dogs, like humans, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Norwegian Lundehund pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Norwegian Lundehunds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂