We all hope for training the perfect Jack Russell Terrier, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the instruction is performed with kindness and commitment. Always remember pups learn from the first day and want to be instructed what is correct, what is not, and proper interpersonal skills.
Puppies behave like small children, they demand regular supervision and instruction. Training a pup does not have to be a chore, all you have to take note of are a few basic principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Jack Russell Terrier
- Up until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. When you can’t then you need to crate her. Design a routine for the pup, that will enable him to settle fast. The routine needs to consist of things like hourly potty visits, eating times, rest periods, walks, play time, training, and so on. A pup that has a busy day has no time at all to become bored and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to appreciate you. Jack Russell Terriers stay in packs and naturally comply with a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will come easy because the pup will obey you at all times and not defy your authority.
- Utilize only positive training techniques. Do not ever scream at, strike, or abuse your Jack Russell Terrier. It’s not just terrible but can induce behavioral concerns. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera could harm the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is widely accepted as a very useful training method. In the event that you practice this, the pup will learn that to experience something like love, a walk, or treat, he will need to act properly.
- Show the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not encourage actions like jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, howling, or running out of open gates and doorways. Compliment courtesy and disregard or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly realize that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a habit you must witness the Jack Russell Terrier in the act and surprise him by rattling a jar of stones. Once you have done this help him fix his behavior and immediately give him a snack and approval. Jack Russell Terriers do not think of what occurred earlier so reprimanding him after an event is futile.
- At all times call/use his name favorably. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will result in confusion and the Jack Russell Terrier will presume that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggy needs to link his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this happens he will respond happily as soon as you call out his name.
- Make a teaching schedule that is short and sweet, say ten minutes thrice a day. Lengthy recurring trainings can be uninteresting and the Jack Russell Terrier will lose interest in the learning session. Make learning fun-filled and use trick training sessions to teach orders like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Jack Russell Terrier and both of you will definitely like your lessons. The pup must eagerly anticipate hanging out with you and not keep away from you by turning tail or taking cover. Make certain to socialize the pup early on. Socialization is among the most important teachings. The Jack Russell Terrier should master how to be with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly introduce the dog when he is small to everyday tasks and sounds. Take him to the market/ dog park, introduce him to children and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Get to know everything about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are basic lessons that every Jack Russell Terrier puppy should master. Know about all the characteristics as well as peculiarities of the breed. This will give you useful ideas on how to successfully teach the doggie.
As a Jack Russell Terrier parent you have lots of options. You may choose to train the Jack Russell Terrier on your own or enlist at a competent training school. Training a Jack Russell Terrier has numerous levels: preschool, behavior training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, in addition to other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What degree you choose to instruct depends on you along with the brainpower of your Jack Russell Terrier. As you realize, various dogs, like human beings, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Jack Russell Terrier pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Jack Russell Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂